What About the Animals? | Teen Ink

What About the Animals? MAG

By Anonymous

      When we think of hurricanes, we usually think about theeffects they have on humans and our country, not on animals orhow animal deaths can effect our economy.

HurricaneFloyd left a trail of disaster in North Carolina, floodingthousands of acres and reportedly killing 250,000 animals.Farmers throughout North Carolina reported casualties; onefarmer lost 10,000 cattle on his farm alone and another wasmissing 26,000 chickens. The death of these animals isdevastating to farmers, who will lose millions ofdollars.

Besides the economic pain these deaths mean tofarmers, many animals suffered as they died. The flash floodscaused by Floyd left them drowning and helpless. Two deadhorses and 15 cattle were found at the mouth of the TarboroRiver; they had suffered one of the worst deaths possible,gasping for air, helpless against the currents.

As thehurricane moved on and reports of animal deaths increased,animal activists took action. Two relief teams stationed inNorth Carolina received calls from farmers so frequently theycould not respond to all. They were to bring necessaryemergency supplies such as food and water. The teams also setup and equipped a livestock and animal shelter at theuniversity. The teams are trying to set up stations inadditional communities to help more animals.

Livestock are not the only animals who suffered. Domestic andzoo animals did, too. Although most domestic animals weretaken to safety by their owners, strays were not as lucky andleft to die. Zoo animals were for the most part alright,although some who were left behind are now in shelters.

We must think of other ways to help farmers, theiranimals and stray animals when future hurricanes strike.Animals are important to our economy and we must help toprevent further suffering. Helping the animals would benefiteveryone.