Poaching: Illegal Hunting This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

When you think ofenvironmental problems you probably think of pollution, but the poaching of wildanimals is one, too. Poaching has plagued environmentalists for years and,despite laws, this horrific crime has yet to be stopped.

Poaching is aserious problem, especially in Africa and Asia. This crime is committed forcommercial profit, meaning hunters kill animals illegally and sell their hidesand parts. Although poachers usually hunt tigers, elephants and rhinos, they killsharks and whales, too. This illegal hunting has led to shrinking populations ofmany species.

Many nations have banned poaching, but enforcement isdifficult. The small number of police officers trained to deal with this createsan unfair advantage for poachers.

Poachers usually kill animals for onlyone product: tigers are slaughtered for their striped fur, elephants are killedfor their ivory tusks and rhinos their large horn. The bodies of the animals areleft to rot. Sharks are lured to boats and caught on a hook that pulls themaboard. Their dorsal fins are cut off and their bodies thrown back into theocean. Without fins they can't swim and will die. The illegally obtained fins areused to make shark fin soup, a delicacy in Asia.

The laws that"protect" animals are no more than pieces of paper. The currentpoaching bans need better enforcement, and I have a plan.

The number ofenforcers needs to be increased so that there are enough to watch the herds andmake sure poachers can't shoot the animals. The reserve parks in Africa shouldbecome a huge zoo so that the animals can migrate but within a fenced area.Another idea is to build a cement enclosure instead of fences. Watchtowers couldbe constructed so enforcers can monitor a wide variety of poacher targets. Thismay not completely end the problem, but it would slow it down.

Poachingis a serious problem and a criminal act. The effects of poaching will be felt forcenturies to come, and if there are any still alive, the only place to seeanimals might be in a zoo.

rockylove said...
today at 1:18 pm
I am so mad know to that people are hunting and killing these animals for no reason makes me mad killing the elephants for there horns and also with the rhinos for money is just wrong and killing whales and sharks for money these people make me sick i won't to do something about this so much reply back if you feel the same way
rockylove said...
today at 1:08 pm
I'm about to read this article i hope its going to be good can you guys tell me what you think of it
Hannah786 said...
May 14 at 10:55 am
I loved this essay, and I also think your plan is AWESOME!!!!! Great Job by the way. LOL :D:D:D
LOLperson said...
Jun. 1, 2014 at 6:11 am
This essay is really good. It helped me a lot!-LOL
tawa112 said...
This article was really good guys. Nice work on describing the poaching conflict. Alot of errors but still good job guys.
youaremysunshine~ said...
Sept. 23, 2013 at 10:59 am
i loves the idea very much,but they are so many typo errors...but..that can be fixed,so,,good job guys! :)
Blablabla replied...
Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:52 am
okay so it doesnt matter if you can't spell all that good. don't hold it against him/her! anyhow im in for ya plan(ps victoria, you spelled at least wrong.)
Wolf-goddess98 said...
It is important to think about poaching
victoria said...
Okay, I like the message of this article but i dont understand how someone could put this online as professional. The english is horrible and this person does't know how to use commas or space their words apart. Learn how to write or atleast proof read your work before you put it out for many to read. Atleast if you want to be taken seriously
Jan. 30, 2012 at 7:15 am
Okay, I like the message of this article, but I don't understand how someone could put this online as professional. The English is horrible, and this person doesn't know how to use commas, or space their words apart. Learn how to write or at least proofread your work before you put it out for many to read. At least if you want to be taken seriously.
wiggly444 replied...
Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:44 am

so true how can someone seriosly think this is professional

xNick said...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 9:48 am
^.^ Whatnow? ^.^
mr. Platypus replied...
Oct. 6, 2011 at 10:23 am
Nice plan im all for it
SallySunshine said...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 9:47 am
Yes you do win. Someone needed a self-ego boost. :P
xNick said...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 9:46 am
xNick said...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 9:43 am
:D I like salsa and chips on a hto9 afternoon.
HYFR #checkyohoe replied...
please be more self confidant and more enthusiastic
xNick said...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 9:42 am

xNick said...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 9:40 am

sillyaardvarkabc said...
I feel really strongly about the poaching of gorillas in the Congo, so I support the DFGFI. Everyone should do all they can to support animals in need. Great job informing everyone about this.