Global Warming | Teen Ink

Global Warming

It is important for us to think of the future. “Global warming” also known as the “Green house effect” is impacting our world. Just think of what our children and grandchildren will experience if things continue the way they are now.

Scientists say that the greenhouse effect is the result of radiation causing atmospheric gasses to move back to earth. This results in warmer temperatures. 1990 was our hottest year in the last century. Along with the years 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, and 1991 have been measured to be the warmest 6 years in the last hundred years, along with 1991 being our second warmest year in the past century. Scientists say that they are convinced that the current temperatures represent a real warming trend. They also agree that the planet’s temperature has risen 0.5 degrees Celsius since 1900, and will continue to increase at an increasing rate.

The environment has sensed this warming and is responding, studies show. The effects of the greenhouse effect cannot be directly predicted because we do not have enough knowledge in this subject. Yet, we have been able to draw direct connections between certain natural phenomenons that show the idea that something is changing.

If global warming trends continue, high temperatures everywhere in the US may reduce US agricultural productivity. Also effects such as water levels dropping and long, drier summers are also possible things that could result. We need to know the significance that global warming has on our earth and our daily lives. Remember not just for us but our future too.