A World in Danger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Since middle school, I have found that the study of the environment reflects a part of my personality. It all began with a National Geographic ­article about the Chesapeake Bay watershed.

Although I live nowhere near, I found the story compelling. I was drawn to the photos of plastic bottles plaguing the bay while a pair of ducks floated through the mess. Focusing on a photo of a dead catfish, I learned that shellfish numbers have been declining because of the destruction of seagrass habitats. “The bay today has become the ecological equivalent of a morbidly obese person, force-fed nitrogen and phosphorus,” the article read. From that point on, my whole way of thinking about our world’s environment changed.

I recognized how our world is in danger. I had always pictured the earth to be a wonderland with perfect habitats of luscious plants and animals. But I now realized that this world is not as perfect as I thought. In recent news, I learned that the Yangtze River in the People’s Republic of China contains carcinogenic heavy metals. Meanwhile, factories in Azerbaijan release large amounts of detergents and pesticides into the air. In my own local St. Lucie River, pollution has caused thousands of dead fish to be washed up on shore. Regardless of your political party, ethnic group, or religion, this is not morally acceptable.

I realize now that I cannot be a spectator in this global environmental crisis. Natural beauty must not be tossed aside for construction of new office complexes and strip malls. As William Ruckelshaus, the first head of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, put it: “Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our ­appetites.”

Now is the time to end the wars in the Middle East, cease genocide in Africa, and stop criticizing each other. Now we must recognize that Mother Earth is in grave danger, and the world as a whole must work together to solve this crisis.

sarah said...
May 20, 2010 at 5:30 pm:

your artical is great it's help me

in my project about 'threats to the environement' .I know that our  environment is in danger that why it's very worth wile to live in a good conditions.I 'am tunisian and we suffer from pollution that 's why I want to sensitize people about this.so what should I do?

thanks a lot for your article.

Raymond L. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 21, 2010 at 4:22 pm :
Thank you for commenting! One of the foremost important steps is environmental awareness. Increasing awareness among the people is essential as they must understand that they have an effect on the future of society. With environmental awareness, people can together take steps to reduce pollution and aid the planet. Feel free ask more questions because I would be glad to answer them!

Sarahcuda said...
May 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm:
GLOBAL WARMING IS A LIE!!!!

SassyJones said...
May 3, 2010 at 8:05 pm:
i agree-children and teen in the developing world need access to environmental sciences.  To me- besides learning how to read and simple math- it is the most important thing. The environment is everything and we are destroying it at a catastrophic rate. 

sulamansk481 said...
dude what are you saying

Raymond L. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I just wanted to thank everyone who has read my article and especially those who have commented. I have reached much thoughtful and beneficial feedback and it is much appreciated! 

Englishnut said...
Apr. 21, 2010 at 11:07 am:
This is a really interesting article! I do have one question though: At what cost do we save the earth? Should we put aside everything else in life just to protect the environment? DO you think its a good idea to deny people liberty and freedom, economic wellbeing, and social benefits just to protect the ecosystem? I agree that we should protect our environment, I just don'tagree that everything elsein our lives should be denied in the name of protecting the environment. WHere does it stop?

Apr. 23, 2010 at 5:40 pm :
Thanks for your questions! First of all, I understand your thinking and do agree with you. Putting everything aside for a single cause is not necessarily a wise solution, as Aristotle once said "Everything in moderation." The point is that in its current state, the environment is being degraded quite excessively. However, with thoughtful alternatives that balance several aspects of life, environmental sustainability can be achieved without denying rights or limiting everything in our lives. &nbs... (more »)

Englishnut replied...
Apr. 27, 2010 at 12:38 pm :
Thanks for responding! I do think that its important to protect the environment, just maybe not putting it before all else. What kind of solution are you referring to?

Apr. 30, 2010 at 2:34 pm :
There are several methods to aid the environment such as reducing excess energy consumption and looking into alternative fuels. Also, aiding the environment surely has to be put in terms with other things in life, which I agree with you. Thanks!

jidef said...
Apr. 14, 2010 at 5:27 am:
Its nice to see that young people care about their environment but this has not been the case with youths in the developing world. this gospel must get to them

AnneOnnimous said...
Feb. 25, 2010 at 7:56 pm:
it's good to see that some other people care about the planet, and that not everyone is to wrapped up in their blackberries to pay attention!! great job!!

WriterFanaticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Good..but i have a question. Your last line, world peace and all. Thats just not going to happen, we as a race...are too self involved. How do you propose we fix that? And yes, I mean US. All of us, because we are the next generation, so yeah, it is our job...

Jan. 20, 2010 at 3:53 pm :
Thanks for your inquiry! Well, yes it is true that many of us on this planet are found to be too wrapped up with ourselves. I will admit that this is something that will be difficult but crucial to mend in our human nature. What it will take is a major inversion in our morals and ideals, in which one should see that his actions, even if directed towards others, will end up affecting himself. Remember, there is only one Earth, so if we tarnish its beauty what else will we have?

WriterFanaticThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 21, 2010 at 7:38 pm :
Hmm. Good thought. Well, If more people do that then I guess it would be possible. Good job.

ambermarie<3 said...
Nov. 20, 2009 at 9:02 am:
this inspires me

gfgfg said...
Sept. 25, 2009 at 4:51 am:
all of your spellings are wrong!

aivilo replied...
Nov. 3, 2009 at 4:11 pm :
what are you talking about?!

andy1914 said...
in the book of psalms 37:29 God promises people to live in a paradise 4ever so very soon he will clean it because the earth is his

Bahoyta said...
Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:54 pm:
This article is great. I agree fully with the last paragraph, too. There are a lot of things going on in the world and nobody wants to stop and realize what really matters. People are separated by group you've mentioned in here and no one will stop until they're the ultimate. We all need to just stop and unite as human beings so that at least we have our lives, which will come from a planet not falling apart.