A World in Danger This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Since middle school, I have found that the study of the environment reflects a part of my personality. It all began with a National Geographic ­article about the Chesapeake Bay watershed.

Although I live nowhere near, I found the story compelling. I was drawn to the photos of plastic bottles plaguing the bay while a pair of ducks floated through the mess. Focusing on a photo of a dead catfish, I learned that shellfish numbers have been declining because of the destruction of seagrass habitats. “The bay today has become the ecological equivalent of a morbidly obese person, force-fed nitrogen and phosphorus,” the article read. From that point on, my whole way of thinking about our world’s environment changed.

I recognized how our world is in danger. I had always pictured the earth to be a wonderland with perfect habitats of luscious plants and animals. But I now realized that this world is not as perfect as I thought. In recent news, I learned that the Yangtze River in the People’s Republic of China contains carcinogenic heavy metals. Meanwhile, factories in Azerbaijan release large amounts of detergents and pesticides into the air. In my own local St. Lucie River, pollution has caused thousands of dead fish to be washed up on shore. Regardless of your political party, ethnic group, or religion, this is not morally acceptable.

I realize now that I cannot be a spectator in this global environmental crisis. Natural beauty must not be tossed aside for construction of new office complexes and strip malls. As William Ruckelshaus, the first head of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, put it: “Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our ­appetites.”

Now is the time to end the wars in the Middle East, cease genocide in Africa, and stop criticizing each other. Now we must recognize that Mother Earth is in grave danger, and the world as a whole must work together to solve this crisis.

IamtheshyStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 4:26 pm:

All I can say is YEAH!!! And, what are you, and anyone else, doing to help fix this? Yes, you wrote an article that was published in Teenink and will now reach a great many teens who will now want to do something about what is happening to our Earth. This is a really great and helpful first step, but we also need to take action.

What are you doing to take personal action?

Raymond L. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 5:57 pm :
I totally agree with you! I have volunteered at a national wildlife refuge and helped remove parasitic plant species. In the future, I surely aspire to have a career that will ease the problems that plague our society. What about you?

IamtheshyStargirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 5:06 pm :

I don't do nearly as much as you do, but during the summer I like to pick up garbage around town.

And this summer, I really want to build a solar shower, who knows if I actually will.

It sounds like you really do a lot, I mostly just do little things, things that are pretty easy that I can do around the house :)

Mar. 5, 2011 at 11:30 am :
Every little thing counts! In my opinion, I think what you do is significant and noteworthy! 

Mar. 7, 2011 at 5:09 pm :
Haha, thanks :)

CARMEN said...

SOOOOOOO TRUE!

Jan. 22, 2011 at 5:41 pm :
Thank you for your response. I'm glad you agree! 

kratz said...
Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:47 am:
Also there are most trees in america now then there were when the pilgrems arrived here.

kratz said...
Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:46 am:
All very nice and free love and all that, but the people we are fighting in the middle east dont give 2 ****s about the environment. Their only goal is to kill people like me, or at least intimidate me enough that i cower in fear of them. they will not be swayed by this article ( or any other).

Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:06 pm :
I appreciate your comment, although some aspects may be exaggerated. You have a point in that our nation is different than others because we care about the environment. This is what makes the United States so unique and great. 

Kml1012 L. said...
Oct. 26, 2010 at 9:16 am:
I love just how descriptive this article is. I have traveled across most states and I realized how beautiful the world is. Most of the world has been plagued by by trash and junk because of people who don't care. I think to the future where our water and trees will be. They may be all gone...

Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:06 pm :
Thank you for your comments! I appreciate your feedback!

_Bell_ said...
I think many people are trying to help our world by stopping all the littering. Almost all the people i know are against polluting the water."Now is the time to end the wars in the Middle East, cease genocide in Africa, and stop criticizing eachother" Here  is a statement that i belive in. Its not us people ruining our ocean but the governments and other countrie's governments throwing the waste of war things.

Aidyl said...
Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:22 pm:
I really liked this article! You talked about the things that mattered and addressed issues clearly. I completely agree with everything you said here. It's very difficult though to even think about trying to put a stop to the genocide in Africa and wars. How do you get people to realize the importance of what's happening to the earth? I liked the way you put everything, but we need to reach deeper, now that we've accepted the problem we need to find a way to start solving it.  

Jul. 26, 2010 at 11:12 am :
It's great to hear from people like you! I agree one hundred and ten percent with you that it is to move past the problem and start identifying solutions. However, like you said, it is very difficult. Several issues in the world, including the mentioned conflicts in the Middle East, involve deep rooted ideological differences, long histories, and even misunderstandings that would probably require an anthropologist or historian to fully understand. Though, I think one solution to start the proces... (more »)

GodsStudent said...
Jul. 25, 2010 at 1:13 pm:
LOL, I liked your, for want of 2 better words, "quest thingy." How do you propose we end the wars in the middle east? Please answer me xD

Jul. 25, 2010 at 3:05 pm :
It surely is a complex issue, so it is more of a desire than a quest but hey, it never hurts to dream. But to address your concern, it probably would require a change in thinking with the parties involved in this issue, a change that involves instilling positive magnanimous thinking. However, working out these differences is very difficult. Let me know if you need anymore clarifications and if you have any more questions! Thanks!

GodsStudent replied...
Jul. 26, 2010 at 1:54 pm :

Nothing good is going to happen with our government! :(  

Lolz.

sarah said...
May 26, 2010 at 4:10 pm:

really I'am very happy to receive your answer,yes this is true therefore I started this week sensitize my freinds at school about the dangers of pollution and I'am sure that they undrestanted me. I think that I will succed to encorage people about saving the environement.by the way my english teacher give me 20 in oral because she loved my project work about this subject and she tell me that I'am a good pupil and hard working.

thanks a lot  Raymond,it's good to find to d... (more »)

sallysunchine56 said...
May 21, 2010 at 8:31 am:
Just because we have ice storms dosent  mean tha global warming is not happening. Just because the WEATHER is cold dosent mean the overall climate is! If you look at the overall climate, the Earth's temperature is becoming warmer over a number of years by a very large amount of degrees.