Destruction | Teen Ink

Destruction

By BlackAngelWings PLATINUM, Venice, Florida
BlackAngelWings PLATINUM, Venice, Florida

New Moon - S. Meyer
'I flung my leg over the edge and ram through the knee deep water, it sprays all around me. "Edward!" I yell knowing it is useless. The crowd is too loud and my voice is breathless with exsertion. But I couldn't stop screaming.'

The sun sets solemnly against the water, a black line standing out against the sun stained orange color of the ocean. The wind runs madly through the grass that sits atop the dunes of the muck covered beach. The sticks left to mark the sea turtle eggs are covered in black oil that has crawled over the ocean’s surface and destroyed the coast. Workers are scattered across the beach collecting the life depriving oil that has engulfed it and killed its animals. I turn my small brother away as he sees a bird beset in the oil and dead. We turn to the rocks of the jetties, as we hop across them the black water seems angry as it thrashes against the boulders. Half of the boulders are slick and covered in the oil that has drained into the ocean from the United Kingdom’s well, the other half of the rocks are dry and sparkling against the harsh noon sun. We slide in between the rocks and search for the rare and valuable seashells this coast has to offer, but we are abruptly overwhelmed by the stench of rotting flesh. Dead animals have been wedged between the rocks by the current and the noon sun has made the remains spoil and reek. My little brother and me return home, now that our favorite past time has been ruined and are beaches devastated by British Petroleum’s foul ways with off shore drilling instead of the natural renewable resources that are available. Because of British Petroleum oil has annihilated the United States south coast, ruining the fishing industry and putting people out of work. Not to mention the men that were killed when the rig exploded, British Petroleum is responsible for their deaths and the mourning of their families. The U.S. is in a recession so this is a bad thing to have happened, but if we could turn those volunteer jobs into real job were people are paid we could better our economy just a little bit more. The oil that has spilled in to the gulf is equivalent to 7 of the Alaskan Valdese oil spills. I think that we should ban off shore drilling by other countries around the U.S. that way if there ever is another oil spill in the waters of North America we’d have no one to blame but ourselves. Think about it.

New Moon - S. Meyer

Yes, even though the oil spilling from the well has been shut off it will still have long term effects on the ecosystem.

And if you haven't heard yet there is an oil spill up in one of the river between Michigan and Canada. It headed towards the Mississippi as of right now.

on Jul. 27 2010 at 10:29 am
Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

I agree with what you said about banning offshore drilling, except I think it should be banned altogether.

The oil spill is such a sad thing. Of course, so many people lost their jobs, and it hurt the economy. However, I think the worst damage was done to animal life. The ecology of the Gulf Coast was ruined and of the surrounding beaches.