Earth Shaking

In 45 years, the world’s supply of oil will run out. In 5,000,000,000 years, the sun will die. In years yet to be predicted, the apocalypse will finally put in an end to the world’s environmental problems.

With big numbers like these, it’s easy to overlook our impact on the environment. If it won’t happen in our lifetime, why should we care? That’s a big part of the problem because we can prevent or postpone these earth-shaking events (literally). We can come up with solutions for tomorrow.

What if we could make fuel out of trash? What if recycling was a law? What if highways were replaced with public transit? What if people would stop being so self-centered and join the eco-effort?

It’s true that we will need some earth-shaking lifestyle changes. Maybe we should go colonial-style and hang laundry outside to dry, instead of tossing them in the dryer. Maybe we should actually get exercise by running outside, instead of wasting electricity on a treadmill.

We need a new attitude and a new dependence on cooperation and initiative. We need creative people whose light bulb ideas are energy-efficient ones. We need a step in the right direction, because the first step is often the hardest.