Meat: A Huge Polluter | Teen Ink

Meat: A Huge Polluter

By DalekJast BRONZE, Cochranville, Pennsylvania
DalekJast BRONZE, Cochranville, Pennsylvania

Many think that meat does not contribute much to global warming. However, this is untrue. In fact, if everyone stopped eating meat, it would greatly decrease the amount of pollutants present on Earth.
At the farms where meat is produced, many chemicals make their ways into nearby watersheds, poisoning the water and killing many fish and water animals. Meat production also takes up more space than growing plants does, due to the enormous amount of feed animals consume. This ensures that farmers deforest the land for room to produce crops to feed their livestock. The chemical pesticides used to treat the feed also pollute nearby watersheds. The trucks used to cart the animals to slaughter produce greenhouse gases, as do the animals themselves(Methane from manure, for instance). The trucks then used to ship the dead animals to markets for sale also produce greenhouse gases. The process used to create the meat which you eat for dinner is highly wasteful and polluting. In fact, meat production produces more carbon dioxide than driving your car 4 miles. If we just reducted meat consumption, it would greatly decrease the speed at which greenhouse gases are being pumped into the atmosphere and may also help save local watersheds from pollution.

JeanGrey GOLD said...
JeanGrey GOLD, Mason City, Iowa

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."-Oscar Wilde

Very good, A+ :)