Solar Energy

Ever since ancient times, humans have been harnessing radiant light and heat from the sun. It has been recorded that back in the 1830s; British astronomer John Herschel used a solar thermal collector box while he was in Africa to cook his food. Solar energy can be used in a lot of ways; it can heat water in homes, building and pools. It can also heat spaces like homes and greenhouses.
Solar energy can be converted into electricity in two ways; the first one is photovoltaic, which changes sunlight directly into electricity. The next way is concentrating solar power plants; they use the heat from the solar thermal collectors to heat fluid which produces steam which is used to power the generator.
Solar energy is great but there are two drawbacks, the sunlight on the earth isn’t constant, it depends on location, time of day, time of year, and weather conditions. The second drawback is that the suns energy isn’t just concentrated to one specific place; it is spread out evenly, so a large area is required to collect the energy at a useful rate.