Renewable Energies, Yes or No? | Teen Ink

Renewable Energies, Yes or No?

By jnazneen BRONZE, Amman, Other
jnazneen BRONZE, Amman, Other

Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show

Did you know that the current production rates oil will run out in 53 years, natural gas in 54  and coal in 110? Usage of non-renewable energy is increasing every day. Sources such as coals and oil are destroying the earth. This destruction can be solved and there already is a solution. Renewable energy can power the world. With fossil fuels running out, we can rely on fossil fuels to power the world.

In the first place, developing countries are now being able/ on the urge to have renewable energy. Kenya, One of the developing countries in the world is trying to go fully on renewable resources. The Climate Council stated “Kenya gets around half its electricity from geothermal– up from only 13% in 2010. Kenya’s also ... big on wind, with Africa’s largest wind farm (310 MW) connected to the grid in October and set to provide another 20% of the country’s installed electricity capacity.”In other words, small and developing countries are trying to accomplish is the goal. Within the following years, the chance of completely using renewable energy is possible and it will be needed. In addition, the CIA Factbook states that the population without electricity in Kenya is 35.4 million in 2013. The important thing to look at this is that the majority of the population would be covered with electricity would be provided with renewable energy. This would help a lot of the population even though the watts are not as high when powered by fossil fuels.

Additionally, this will also help public health issues to decrease. Fossil fuels cause plenty of diseases. Climate Nexus talks about how these diseases are spreading. Chemicals that are released from coal mining, oil refining, power plants cause diseases as the following: respiratory illness, cancer, leukemia, cardiovascular disease, and others.  “Researchers from Harvard University, …. the monetary value of clean energy projects in terms of improved public health, have found that energy efficiency measures and low-carbon energy sources can save a region between $5.7 million and $210 million annually, based on the accepted dollar value of human life.” This displays the fact that about 5.7 million to 210 million is a lot of lives saved. The important thing to notice about this is that public health is important. The factors that can help increase public health should be enforced.

Equally important, with renewable energy, many job opportunities have risen up. According to The Environmental Defense Fund, “ The renewable energy sector employs 777,000 people, roughly the same as the U.S. telecommunications industry. Bioenergy – which comes from organic material – remains the largest employer, while the solar industry is second.” The impact of this will result in more employment in these sectors. If currently, the amount is this much then the future will be able to hold more employment. The larger industries with the energy sector, not only job opportunities grow but also new jobs are created.  Furthermore Adnan Z. Amin, Director-General of the International Renewable Energy Agency said, “Renewable energy has become a pillar of low-carbon economic growth for governments all over the world, a fact reflected by the growing number of jobs created in the sector,”. The importance of this to visualize the effects that renewable energy in the world today.  This shows that renewable energy in benefitting the environment and people. Not to mention that jobs in the motor/car department have and will also increase. With more battery cars instead of cars running on fuel, engineers are needed to create the cars. That provides another area of work for people.  A fact stated by the Good News for Good Jobs: Clean Energy Soars, “ More than 25,000 EVs were sold in March 2018 alone, requiring an increase in battery storage production that translated into a 12 percent increase over last year, adding nearly 6,000 new jobs.”

On the contrary renewable energy can be quite vulnerable that too in case of wind turbines and solar panels. According to Andrew Norris, senior engineering underwriter at ‎Swiss Re Corporate Solutions, “. Many renewable energy sites utilize power lines to connect renewable-generated electricity to the grid or transmission system, but these are vulnerable to adverse weather events, causing damage to the cable, …..”. This proves that solar and wind energy could cause problems. Along with that, it would also take other materials in the process. Article Pros and Cons of Renewable Energy states, “As it is not possible to produce energy in such conditions, we might have to reduce our energy consumption. In fact, even if many of them are adopted, in some areas the predicted ongoing climate change could make them inoperable within 50 years.” 

Although this may be true we all currently live in the 21st century. Weather can result in less energy and power or damage materials used. However, in the past few years technology has risen but a massive amount. S.S. Sharma, Vinod Kumar, and R. R. Joshi, Department of Electrical Engineering, GITS, Udaipur, India have worked on plans and machines which would store energy. One of their designs include, “ A flywheel, in essence, is a mechanical battery, simply a mass rotating about its axis which is used to absorb electric energy from the source to store it as rotational kinetic energy and then deliver to a load at the appropriate time, in the form that meets the load needs.” This clearly shows that even if renewable energy may be vulnerable but it is possible to overcome it. Even though it may be hard to completely happen now but an effort can change the whole view. Renewable Energy can change many parts of the environment and people. It can solve any health issues, help developing countries and offer more niches to people.  A thing to remember would be, “The shift to a cleaner energy economy won’t happen overnight, and it will require tough choices along the way. But the debate is settled. Climate change is a fact. And when our children’s children look us in the eye and ask if we did all we could to leave them a safer, more stable world, with new sources of energy, I want us to be able to say yes, ....”

— U.S. President Barack Obama, State of the Union, January 28, 2014