Special Needs Playgroup | Teen Ink

Special Needs Playgroup

March 21, 2016
By holly17 BRONZE, Orpington, Other
holly17 BRONZE, Orpington, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The volunteer work I do is in a nursery for special needs children. It started about 5 years ago; my mum already volunteered there. I was going through a rough patch at school, so my mum suggested I go to work with her for the morning. It was truly a mesmerizing experience. I saw children with missing limbs, some were deaf and blind and some had terminal illnesses.  However they did not have a care in the world. They were running in and out of the Wendy house with their friends having such a fun day. That’s the day that my views on life changed.


I have never enjoyed school. I never had any friends and I always thought that people were talking about me and avoiding me. Every morning I would wake up crying and desperate not to go to school. I tried every day for my mum to let me stay at home. Eventually she used to agree if I go to work with her so I’m actually doing something. I would sit there and think that my life was bad and that I have nothing important to live for. However, seeing these beautiful children, battling the things that they do day in, day out, I realized that I have so much to live for. Some of the children will not live past the age of five, and some may never walk or talk.


However they are so happy and energetic. They do not let their disabilities stop them from enjoying playgroup. Eventually I learnt that I didn’t need friends in school. After all, friends don’t get you good grades. I constantly look forward to the days that I can go into playgroup and help. The experience I have there has taught me that these children have no choice but to keep looking forward. They have a loving family and a place to play and have fun and that’s all they need. Since volunteering there I have found out that the playgroup barely receives any government funding, so they rely heavily on donations from the public. Now my family and I raise money however we can for them. The members of staff are so friendly and kind, they deserve all the money they get. Volunteering here has given me a different outlook on my life completely. I have a family, an education and the chance to create a memorable future. Unfortunately very of these children have the same. Therefore I will volunteer there as often as I can to help them have the best childhood they can. Sadly, they may only live long enough to be a child.


The author's comments:

I hope this piece will inspire people to volunteer even an hour of their time a week, as that hour may make all the difference to someone. This playgroup has helped me so much, I hope others can find the same experience somewhere.