Educating Hope | Teen Ink

Educating Hope

August 25, 2015
By zoe22 GOLD, Vienna, Virginia
zoe22 GOLD, Vienna, Virginia
15 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A drop in the ocean, a change in the weather," Ron Pope


I've recently watched a documentary on Shining Hope, a program working to bring education to girls in the poorest slums of Kibera,  Kenya. As mentioned in Shining Hope, educating the many underprivileged girls living in Kiberia means that they will invest at least 90% of their family earnings and have a decreased risk of contracting HIV and a increased chance of having healthy children. Therefore, Jessica Posner and Kennedy Odede have created the Kibera School of Girls to take education to the next level. "I want to be a doctor," one girl said. "I want to be a lawyer," another girl said. Knowing that these girls are currently being supported academically just tugs the strings of my hearts knowing that they will be quite successful at life and best of all, living their dreams. Kennedy's and Jessica's contributions have worked to close the education gap between average schoolchildren and underprivileged children. I also hope to contribute to close the education gap by integrating a computer science education into education curriculums of schools where many underprivileged children attend, donate at least 150 books to programs in south Asian working with disabled children, and create a tutoring website for Hispanic children lacking proficiency in the English language.