Little Miss Sophie | Teen Ink

Little Miss Sophie

By T_Harris BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
T_Harris BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

“On your marks, get set… GO!” the contestants jolted forward running to the best of their ability. Like lightening in their eyes but a steady pace in ours. They raced each other, each one smiling at the sound of their name being yelled from the crowd in hopes that they would win the first place medal.

You never really think about simple everyday tasks that you are able to perform because your brain functions correctly and is able to send commands to your body until you’re around people who don’t have that privilege or even the body parts needed to perform simple tasks. Although there aren't many born with a physical or mental disability there are enough for the privileged to come together and showcase and celebrate what they can do in a series of different games and sports known as the special Olympics.

` Growing up, my grandma would always tell me to be careful around people or children with down syndrome or who were developed in a different way. I always felt hesitant and nervous around them because I thought they were out to get me or they were trying to harm me. This came mostly from appearance some had a regular sized eye and a teardrop shaped eye, some had a lip that was connected to their nose, and I was used to monsters looking this way not humans like myself having these attributes. As I got older I learned why they had a scrunched face or a shorter arm or crunched fingers and why some weren't able to hold their head up without help. I became more accepting of the special.
As the bus full of volunteers screeched to a halt in front of the venue where the special Olympics was held a sea of yellow shirts gathered around the entrance waiting to be directed to a station. “I need volunteers ages 12-15 to step to the right and stand with the guy holding a blue flag.” the director commanded “16 and older follow me.” I followed the guy with the blue flag to a tent filled with chairs and anxious children applauding sporadically and jumping from the mixture of excitement and jitters going through their delicate bodies. My job was to keep them motivated and warm and direct them to their starting positions. Some were quiet and stared blankly into my eyes as I tried to get to know them a bit more, some were very open and wanted to know a lot about me as well, and some were spontaneous and imaginative and painted dazzling fantasy pictures in my mind just by the words they spoke. “Look at that bird flying, I wish I could fly, I would fly like superman and save everyone then I could be a superhero” “I love caterpillars because they turn into pretty butterflies with pink and purple in them and they live on flowers” Each kid had a different story they wanted to share it was like a wonderland of words when you walked into the tent.

I walked up slowly to a girl with short brown hair and sat next to her she turned her head and glanced at me, “You’re so pretty.” the words flowed into my ears and lingered like the smell of a candle after you blow it out. I faced the little girl and gazed into her eyes, “ Thank you, you’re beautiful!” I smiled. Her face lit up with a big toothy smile. “ What’s your name?” “My name is Sophie” she whispered. “Hi Sophie I’m Tequasia” she turned to the sound of my name with a look of puzzlement. I chuckled and walked her to her starting position on the track. She anticipated the sound of the gun but once she heard the “BOOM!” she jumped and began running, laughing partly because the sound scared her and partly at the thrill of running against people. “Go Sophie! You can do it” I cheered. Her laughter was becoming contagious and I had a huge smile painted on my face at the sight of her running the fastest she could and having the time of her life.

After she had finished the race she ran up to me and wrapped her arms around me embracing my tiny body and shouting with excitement. She asked me if I would be the one to take her to all the stations and from then on she started to become more comfortable. By the end of the event we had danced, played horseshoe, got our faces painted, and ate together and when it was time to depart she didn't want to let me go. From that day on, I was no longer hesitant around people like Sophie and everyday I thanked god for the privileges I had and the things I was able to do and perform.