The Difference I Wanted To See | Teen Ink

The Difference I Wanted To See

By WriterOfTheFuture BRONZE, Jefferson, Massachusetts
WriterOfTheFuture BRONZE, Jefferson, Massachusetts

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm possible"

My whole world changed the day I received news I had a health condition called epilepsy. I was responsible for things I had never even known existed such as medications and neurologist appointments. People kept telling me “I’m so proud of you, you are so strong.” But the only thing I could comprehend was that I was different from all my friends and family and I felt alone. Trapped inside a body that I believed was not mine. Alone in a world I could not escape. I was alone. Until my mom sat down with me and explained everything to me. She explained to me that I was just like many people in the world in fact there are over 60 million people with epilepsy. I started to feel better as she explained that people in my family did in fact have epilepsy. I was not longer experiencing the feeling that I was the “ugly duckling” I just had something different about me that made me, me. I started to research more about the health condition I had. I learned that epilepsy can be triggered by many things, over 60 million people in the world have it, and there are many kids around me that have seizures. I started to feel better about my condition after reading that because there were people like me who had the same condition. It was the end of fifth grade and I was going into the middle school. New people, more people, people who did not have epilepsy. I started to second guess myself because people started to notice I was different than they were. I blinked more, had a speech impediment, and had teachers looking at me like a hawk about to pounce on prey. I knew most of them were just scared but I began feeling like an outside. I was not invited to sleepovers in fear I would have a seizure. I began putting my extra time to better use. I no longer wanted to feel different, I wanted to spread awareness. I asked three of my best friends if they could explain epilepsy to me and they all looked at me blankly. That is when I had the idea. I was going to spread awareness about the condition epilepsy. By creating awareness bracelets and selling them to family, friends at school, and even strangers I raised over $150 for the Epilepsy Foundation. I started a facebook page with my mom called “Epilepsy Awareness” and every week I would post information about different types of epilepsy. My facebook page reached over 100 followers in less than a year! And people who followed my page were from all over. The kids in my school started to respect me and knew I was headed for big things. By the end of middle school I was voted best outlook on like and given the Diane Christy award for citizenship and community service at graduation. That summer I went to an epilepsy camp in Maine and had the time of my life. I met my new best friend and I met other kids just like me. I began selling special epilepsy awareness gift cards to a local steakhouse and they made over $600 in sales.Right now my total sales and donations under my name to the Epilepsy Foundation is just about $800. Even when I am in the hospital getting tests done I try to stay connected to my followers via facebook or by giving people brochures I have made. My aunt who has history with dealing with people with epilepsy and seizures is helping me plan a 5k to raise more money for the Epilepsy Foundation to help find new medicines and cures. I never would have thought four years ago that I would be were I was now because I was diagnosed with epilepsy. At a time I wished I had never been diagnosed but now I look back and see that I am changing peoples lives.

I want the readers of this article to know they are not alone. People are there and understand the things that make you different. 

Livi Mack said...
on Mar. 3 2015 at 8:12 pm
Livi Mack, Holden, Massachusetts
Amazing simply amazing

katieq11 said...
on Feb. 21 2015 at 6:43 pm
katieq11, Holden, Massachusetts
I loved this article very well rounded and written

jojo2222 said...
on Feb. 21 2015 at 6:37 pm
jojo2222, Holden, Massachusetts
great article, very well written!

RealRiter GOLD said...
on Feb. 21 2015 at 6:29 pm
RealRiter GOLD, Astoria, Oregon

"I did not fail 101 times, but I simply found 101 ways that did not work." -Thomas Edison

Good job, I think it`s well written, But maybe try dividing it in paragraphs next time. Very encouraging!

on Feb. 21 2015 at 6:17 pm

thank you very much

HammadWaseem said...
on Feb. 21 2015 at 2:06 pm
HammadWaseem, Lahore, Other

Be proud of who you are.
-Eminem

You can't see me
-John Cena

Ooh, somebody stop me!
-Mask

WOW!!! Thats great! btw will you rate and comment on my video? TeenInk.com/video/dancing/114206/The-Unbeatable-Breakdancer @WriterOfTheFuture

on Feb. 20 2015 at 10:45 am
Mother_Russia, Indianapolis Indiana, Indiana

Hey, baby go out with me I'm a youtube super star!-Lui

You better watch your mouth before I ask Santa to bring you a backhand-Lui

My name is motherfucking "Steve Fucking Gate Bill Jobs".

i love it and it really facinating. bruh

jamie. BRONZE said...
on Feb. 20 2015 at 10:12 am
jamie. BRONZE, Masfield, Ohio
I hope you write more... I love this It was really facinating. can you rate and comment on mine as well? TeenInk.com/fiction/all/article/765219/My-life-hte-way-it-should-be-told-not-how-the-movies-say-it-should-be/

on Feb. 19 2015 at 5:22 pm

Thank you so much

on Feb. 19 2015 at 5:22 pm

Thank you so much

jamie. BRONZE said...
on Feb. 19 2015 at 10:20 am
jamie. BRONZE, Masfield, Ohio
That was really amazing i really enjoyed reading it I hope you keep writing.

on Feb. 19 2015 at 2:13 am
Have a read of this - and don't be afraid (ever) to drop me a line XXX epilepsyfoundationmn.org/blog/seizures-dont-stop-me-alyce-australia-shares-her-story/

on Feb. 18 2015 at 9:55 pm
Crystallite BRONZE, Santa Elena, Other
Very good piece! Your story is very inspirational and touching. I'm glad that you shared this because more people need to become aware. You're a good role model for many who may have epilepsy and are saddened by it. You embraced your condition and triumphed. Thank you very much for sharing this. Your piece was nicely penned and was so filled with emotion.

on Feb. 18 2015 at 2:17 pm

thank you very much I am hoping this gets printed so more people will be aware

on Feb. 18 2015 at 1:55 pm

@alyceautralia thank you so much! Please let your friends know about this

on Feb. 17 2015 at 2:56 am
You are an inspiration to all who have this condition, keep up the good work and don't let your epilepsy get you down! XXX