Happiness for the Holidays | Teen Ink

Happiness for the Holidays

By Gillian Maier BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Gillian Maier BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

On December 5th, 2014 my high school held its annual Holiday Festival. This years’ theme was Frozen, which is a notable children’s movie about an Ice princess’s ability to express her inner powers. The halls were draped with snow, paintings and snowflakes. In each hallway were numerous Christmas trees that lit up the once banal floors with the bright hues of red and green. The school had enormous bouncy houses, an extensive range of clothes for the little kids and numerous activities. However, the greatest sights to see were the children’s cheerful faces. The little ones elation was prevalent throughout the day, and it was clear that they were enjoying all of the festivities.

Each year that my high school has organized Holiday Festival, it has been a success. Providing so much care and love for these children, especially during the duration of the holidays, makes even the toughest times for these kids a little easier. Most of these little ones go through birthdays, holidays and special events without any presents or celebrations. These children are from Paterson New Jersey, which is a lesser-privileged town where the population is extremely dense and many of the families are impecunious. However when they arrive to the festival, they are given a unique opportunity that rewards them immensely. It is not every day that an opportunity like these is presented to these little ones. Therefore, this day is one that the Roberto Clemente kids look forward to for the entire year. 

In the morning, all of the students from Roberto Clemente watched a play based on the movie Frozen, which was held in the auditorium. Here, they also received new gifts like toothbrushes and coloring books. After, they were led to their assigned classrooms and ate their lunches. The High School students were then shown to their assigned classes to meet their little kids. Each student came prepared with several gifts, which they brought to the classroom to give to their children. Once the kids ate their lunch, the High School students met their assigned child with a warm hello. Then, each group was dismissed to open presents with their child, and then to walk around the school to experience all of the activities. Inside the gym was an enormous bouncy house. In the library, there were tables draped with extensive amounts of presents that the children could pick out for their families and also have wrapped. In addition, the lunchroom was filled with numerous booths where the little kids could make cookies, draw, make crafts and even get tattoos from. Additionally, at the end of the front hallway sat Santa and Mrs. Clause. The little kids could sit on Santa’s lap, take a picture, and tell him what they desired for Christmas.

By the end of the day, each Roberto Clemente child had received the latest books, presents, candy, cookies and most importantly happiness. The children were ebullient beyond belief, most in awe of the amazing experience. This festival is a cherished day of many because it shows how giving back to the community is such a rewarding and imperative idea. Not only was it enjoyable for the kids, but anyone at the school could agree that they appreciated the day as well. Although it did take months of planning, a lot of fundraising, and a great amount of time and effort, it was all worth it in the end.

In addition to the Roberto kids benefiting from this festival, the students are rewarded as well. The students are given the opportunity to act as role models for the 350 children that visit the school. They have to learn responsibility, and learn how to take care of their child. Additionally, any student that participates in this activity takes with them a newfound friendship that was created within a couple of hours. Students are able to genuinely connect with the younger kids, and by the end of the day, the students cannot deny that they have created a substantial bond with their little ones.

It is no surprise that there is such a vast population of students that desire to be a part of this incredible day. It has become an anticipated day for all students, staff and children that take part in the event. Not only has the celebration completely impacted the lesser-privileged Roberto Clemente kids, it has also affected High School students immensely. For the past two years, I have been a part of this day, and it has been unforgettable. The children are all so appreciative, and it is truly amazing to see how jubilant they become when they unwrap there presents. This year’s holiday festival I had the privilege of having a bubbly, mature and a hilarious second grader named Lindsey. We spent the whole day together laughing, and enjoying all of the activities within the school. As the day was drawing to a close, she whispered to me and said, “I never want to leave. This is so much fun!” Hearing her say this made me realize how extraordinary this festival truly is. These little girls and boys are so sweet and innocent, and deserve nothing but the best. The Holiday Festival does this and more; therefore, it is no surprise why the Roberto Clemente children love this day so much.

For years to come, this tradition will continue to be a part of our High School, and also be a part of the Roberto Clemente’s student’s holidays. It is a day that if anyone can, they should be a part of. Saying this day is incredible is an understatement. It has such a vast influence on all of these children, and makes their holidays exceptional. The smiles on all of the children’s faces are incredible, and the feeling you receive when you see their happiness is irreplaceable. It is such a satisfying feeling to know how just one day can impact one little boy or girl’s life eternally.