Making School Safe for LGBT Teens This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

I have worked to make schools safe for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender (LGBT) youth for the past three years. Initially, my own coming out experience as a lesbian teen motivated me to make schools more welcoming for gay teens. I still have the journal entry I wrote the day I knew I was a lesbian. I was 12.

I thought about it all day and realized the truth. I'm gay. Now, the question is, how do I go about telling people? I want it to be public, even though I'm going to be mercilessly tortured by people at school.

Sadly, I hear many gay teens express similar thoughts: I'm gay and I don't want to hide it, but everyone's going to tease me at school.

A year later, during an online chat with other kids in the eighth grade at my middle school, one boy posted that gay kissing on TV is “weird.” My comment prompted a flood of replies from others in my grade. Students wrote long entries either defending equal rights for LGBT people or explaining why granting equal rights would harm society. Finally, I stopped arguing for “gay rights” and began arguing for “my rights.” That shift made clear that this was my issue; it had personal meaning and importance to me.

After that debate, I realized that in order to help people understand what it means to be LGBT, I would need to be open about my sexual orientation. That September, there were multiple publicized suicides of young teens who were bullied for being LGBT. This inspired me to found my middle school's Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA). We organized assemblies, training sessions, and projects to make our school safer for all students. We met with some parental resistance, but it was all worth it when a seventh-grade girl told me that she had not heard anyone say “that's so gay” since the GSA had become a fixture on campus.

In the following months, two eighth-grade boys came out, one later admitting to me that he was afraid to do this before the GSA was created. By the end of the year our organization had 30 members and was the most active student organization on campus.

As middle school graduation approached, I knew that I wanted to do more to improve the lives of LGBT teens at school. I applied to be a student ambassador for the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), which is the national organization that introduces Gay-Straight Alliances in schools. I was selected as one of 18 ambassadors nationwide.

Shortly after high school began that September, 14-year-old Jamey Rodemeyer took his life because he was bullied for being gay. In response, I created the Make It Safe Project (www.makeitsafeproject.org), an organization that donates books about sexuality and gender expression to schools and youth homeless shelters nationwide. Using donations received through my website, I have sent dozens of boxes to 18 states and Mauritius (an island nation off the coast of Africa), giving more than 50,000 teens access to these resources.

After reading over 30 bestselling books for LGBT teens I selected 10 for the book packages that go to schools. These include books on coming out, dating, and preventing suicide. I hope to reach schools and shelters in every state by the end of 2014. I am also in the process of turning The Make It Safe Project into a registered nonprofit corporation.

Through my efforts to show teens that they should be proud of who they are, I have learned to be proud of myself. I am a fortunate LGBT teen in that I have attended supportive, safe schools, but most LGBT teens are not as lucky. That is why I am continuing my efforts to promote equality and safe schools in the hope that one day every LGBT teen will be as proud of who they are as I am.

This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category. This piece won the October 2012 Teen Ink Community Service Contest.

corinnethedragn said...
Feb. 23 at 8:56 pm:
Hi, I'm doing a research paper on LGBTQ issues in schools for my English class and I'd just like to know the date that you published this essay for citing purposes. Thanks so much! P.S. I really admire the work you're doing:)

kksbrnnThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:37 am:
Wow, I truly admire you. That is so brave of you. I've been wanting to start a GSA club in my own school but I'm too afraid of what other people might think--but now I'm definitely reconsidering it thanks to you :) I agree that homophobic slurs should not be used and that perhaps GSA can help educate people to accept the LGBT community. You are an inspiration.

Amelia_R-FThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 7, 2013 at 6:23 pm :
Thank you for your kind comment. If you'd like some advice on starting a GSA, please don't hesitate to go to my site and contact me. I'd be happy to give you advice, books, etc.

Brianna said...
wow i love your story.Your such a brave strong person and i know if i were gay i wouldn't be able to let it out the way you did thanks for sharin your tory with me.

Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:25 am :
Thank you for your kind reply. :)

Brianna said...
wow i love your story. Your sh a brave strong person i know i wouldnt want to tell any one if i were gay.

alysia said...
Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:59 am:
Wow you're an amazing person and i love your writing style. I've been thinking of starting a project maybe related to photography on this topic as well. Living in a very conservative country, the people around are not really open to the fact that it's fine to be gay. Guess we just have to continue fighting for what we represent and that it's fine to love whoever we want to love, be it someone of the opposite gender or the same.

Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:01 pm :
Thank you for your comment. You should definitely start your own project. Let me know if you do. I'd love to see it.

brianna replied...
Sept. 18, 2013 at 7:09 pm :
wow i loved your story if i were gay i wouldnt want to tell anyone your a very strong brave person.

joy_the_supporter13 said...
Your writing is amazing. I'm bisexual myself. When I came out, I was terrified. I was judged and hurt, but in the end I knew that I was being true to myself. I didn't want to lie to myself and to the ones that I love just so I wouldn't be judged. After being honest with everyone and seeing how my true friends reacted, I knew I did the right thing and I was happy. Keep your head up. You're completely supported by me. 100%!!! :)

Dec. 23, 2012 at 6:06 pm :
Thank you for your kind comment! If your school could use books, don't hesitate to contact me through my site.

RainOnMyWindowpane This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Your writing style is very good and inspiring. Keep it up! This is really wonderful, what you are doing. I hope that you succeed in your goal.

Sept. 6, 2012 at 2:10 pm :
Thank you!

Sept. 6, 2012 at 2:10 pm :
Thank you!