Christmas Baskets This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I became involved in community service through my church youth group in Brockton. About one month before Christmas everyone in our parish makes an effort to buy at least two food items like carrots. potatoes, stuffing mix, and turkey.

When all the food has been collected, the church youth group, which is basically the older kids who belong to the church, gets together about three or four days before Christmas and puts together about fifty baskets of food. Each basket contains all the fixings for a delicious turkey dinner.

Then Christmas Eve, we get together again and personally deliver the baskets to fifty area families in need.

Seeing how grateful the families were that I helped, made me realize how fortunate I am. It also helped me appreciate what I do have and not take these things for granted.

Even though there are an enormous number of poor families who need our help, it made me feel good to know that our Christmas baskets helped a small number of those people have a better Christmas. fl