Good Karma | Teen Ink

Good Karma MAG

By Anabelle Kaplan BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Anabelle Kaplan BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

“Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.” TeenKula, an organization that seeks to help others through yoga, was founded on this concept. TeenKula is a branch of Kula for Karma, a New Jersey-based nonprofit founded on the concepts of “kula” meaning community and “karma” meaning selfless service. Its mission is to offer yoga at no charge to those who have been challenged by difficult circumstances, such as illness, abuse, or addiction. It is believed that yoga has special healing powers, and TeenKula helps ensure that all people have the opportunity to practice yoga.

Founded about five years ago, TeenKula gives teens the opportunity to get involved. Hundreds of yoga teachers throughout the New York metropolitan area volunteer to teach classes. It is TeenKula's job to raise money to support these programs. In the first year, TeenKula raised $15,000 by holding an open mic night and a walkathon. This money supports yoga classes for children and teens struggling with cancer, addiction, or abuse.

Through TeenKula, I have learned how important it is to give back to my community. There are people who have suffered tragic and unfortunate events and need help rebuilding their lives, whether through yoga or other methods of healing.

I am fortunate to be healthy and well-educated. I believe anyone who is blessed with these things needs to look out for those who aren't. Most feel their donation to a charity never goes anywhere, but I have firsthand experience that it does. I helped raise money, and when it is put into action, I see the effects. For example, I attended and mentored at a yoga class for children with autism, made possible by TeenKula. These children looked forward to this wonderful program every week. Without our organization, it wouldn't have been possible.

It is very important for teens to make a difference, because we are the future and the world needs healing in a variety of ways. If you don't have time to get involved in regular community service, even a small act of kindness can change someone's life. A single person can't heal the whole world, but when people come together to help those in need, it is sure to make a difference.