Art That Makes a Difference | Teen Ink

Art That Makes a Difference MAG

By Anonymous

     The first time I drew, Iknew I had the power to influence people as I saw their eyes light up. As I gotolder, I decided to use this power to bring about change.

Many kids I knowoperate under the premise that the more they have, the better. I don't, and I tryto put my energy into important life priorities. I draw and paint positivemessages that are are turned into posters and flyers I donate to promote causeslike AIDS awareness and the environment. I've also created art to encouragehealth and dental check-ups. Organizations hang my art in their offices and atfairs. I've also donated my art to organizations that sell it and donate themoney to Third World countries.

I was privileged to work on the Art USAmural on the Mall in Washington, D.C. and got to attend the Millennium DreamersGlobal Conference in Orlando, Florida. Meeting people from all over the world wasphenomenal.

Art is a human experience with a community connection. Artinforms and brings people together. Community is not just my school or my town - to me, it is the world. My art provides much-needed messages to the world thatare told and re-told as people walk by it. My art can move people to bandtogether and act. I know the importance of sowing seeds, and by planting seeds(ideas) in peoples' heads through art, a harvest will follow!

Messages arebest understood when the sender and receiver use the same language. Art isuniversal because images can be understood by everyone. The power of art tochange the world is extraordinary.