Volunteering to Help Others | Teen Ink

Volunteering to Help Others MAG

A year ago I volunteered to join the Gouverneur Rescue Squad. One of my teachersasked if I would be interested in driving a rescue vehicle because the squad wasshort drivers. I thought it might be interesting, so I went to see what it wasall about. The members explained I would need to be voted in, and I was!

Next, I was trained as a passenger on actual calls, which let me makesure I really wanted to do this. Then I was taught to drive the squad vehiclearound town to get familiar with what it can do.

Now, I have a 12-hourshift each week. Some shifts are harder than others; we never know what toexpect. Also, because I'm still in school, calls on a weeknight can behard.

There have been some not-so-serious calls, and others that werereally difficult (like the first time I lost a patient). I have been on manycalls and transferred everyone from elderly patients to children. I might take abasic training course in first aid and CPR so I can help with the medical part ofthe rescue squad service.

I decided to join the rescue squad hoping thatwhat I learn would also help me. When I turn 21, I plan on joining the firedepartment. Eventually, I would like to be with the New York State PoliceDepartment.

I am usually asked to help on shifts because of the shortageof drivers and medical personnel. People should get involved because there is areal need in every community.

What I like best about working on therescue squad is helping others, feeling needed by the community, making adifference, and getting some recognition. The thing I like least is not beingable to do anything to bring back a patient. But I have learned to accept theseexperiences as part of my training, and maybe on the next call, I will be able tomake that difference.