The Lonely Shelter

The small, nearly fallen apart shack resting at the end of the empty road called Thurman Poe Way could mean the difference between life and death for many innocent animals. Our local humane shelter was built in the early 1970's and its age is clearly shown by its dismaying interior. The employees do their best to work with what they’ve got but considering their low income and unfortunate circumstances there’s not much they can do. The shelters condition is very unhealthy for the animals and in dreadful reality it has been known to spread sickness among the animals, eventually leading to death.

All it took me was one step into the needful shelter and one small glance around. My mind was set. I had to step up and do something about this. I had to help. They were planning to build a new shelter and that sparked my interest deeply. I got my friends involved and we are constantly planning fund-raisers and donating money of our own. We have planned a wide variety of fund-raisers through our neighborhoods, schools, friends and family, and all of the community, and still are. We have yet to reach our goal but we have never stopped working at it. As of today I’ve been progressing towards this goal for around five years.

When I look into the innocent eyes of an abandoned animal who depends on people like me for something as indispensable as their life I know that I will continue to fight for them until the day I die. And when I know that I've helped them, that I've truly made a difference, that incredible feeling sticks, like a magnet to a fridge. It never goes away and the joy in my heart is tremendous.

LifesIllusion said...
like it. With some work it could totally be 5 stars:) check out my work? thanks, i would really love to have some feedback from you on my own work.

lovetoread said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 8:40 pm:
Love this article.  It brought tears to my eyes.

AuntieJ said...
Aug. 17, 2010 at 6:23 am:
Nice job on your article.  You've done so much for the shelter - you're very inspiring.

musiclovelaughallday said...
okay now reading this article i would've donated my every possession to the fur-ball fest! only baking cookies, brownies, muffins, and cake seems very insignificant and i DO want to help more! lol round of applause and standing ovation :D 

ummm...... said...
this makes me want to help out our shelter more!!