Bullying Between Adolescents | Teen Ink

Bullying Between Adolescents

By esme15 BRONZE, Springfield, Illinois
esme15 BRONZE, Springfield, Illinois

Adolescence can be an unsettling time, with many physical, emotional, psychological, and social changes. Bullying is a serious problem that can cause constant feeling of sadness, social problems, emotional problems, and even death. Emotional, physical, and verbal abuse between adolescents can lead to depression causing self harm or even suicide.

Everyday, thousands of teens wake up afraid to go to school, due to fear that they will be bullied. Bullying is when a person is picked on repeatedly by an individual or individuals mostly because of their physical appearance or their social standards. According to a study done by Mental Health America (MHA) around 64% of children being bullied did not report being bullied; only around 36%  did report the incident. Bullying is a serious problem that sometimes can go unreported.

Adolescents are sometimes afraid to tell someone that a person is being bullied. If they do,there is always a fear that if you tell you will be called a “snitch” or an “opp”--which would then move the bullying to you for telling on them.

There are multiple reasons why a teenager might become depressed. For example, school, financial problems in the household, parents, siblings, and sometimes just trying to fit in. At times teens could  also start to become depressed when the are made fun of because of  their weight, height, clothes or shoes they wear.

There is a strong link between bullying and suicide. Many parents sometimes view bullying as just part of  growing up, and they often don't realize the devastating effects. The maybe one or two times that a person is being bullied can soon escalate into bullying on a daily basis.

According to a study done by Yale University Bullied victims are 7 to 9 per cent more likely to consider suicide. Today suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts. Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it.

In conclusion bullying between adolescents can sometimes lead to devastating effects for example suicide. We know that bullying doesn't directly cause suicide, but we also know that bullying can have a great affect on why a person might commit suicide.