The Problem Is the Bullies | Teen Ink

The Problem Is the Bullies

By LG2016 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
LG2016 BRONZE, Sacramento, California

Bullying has been a problem around everywhere but mostly school. Even though some don’t consider bullying a big deal, it really is. In many cases it has led to those being bullied committing suicide. The fact that they the victims can’t stop it makes the bullies continue doing what they do. Bullying happens a lot but many children are afraid to tell someone, even their own parents. I think this is why children end their lives; they don’t see a way out.

In the book bullying Under Attack, A Bully’s Confession by Michael Ortiz states, “Being a bully doesn’t save me from other bullies. I used to think that, somehow, tormenting others would grant me immunity from being tormented, it didn’t”. Ortiz is trying to say that even if you yourself are a bully, it doesn’t mean other bullies aren’t going to bully you. He thinks he’s fitting in with bullies and making him superior than those who are being bullied. He didn’t realize tormenting others was the only thing happening but him also.

He also states, “Three kinds, the bully who doesn’t know what he’s doing, the one who knows and can’t stop it, and the bully who knows and doesn’t want to stop it… Because what we secretly hate about ourselves hurt us much more than what others think about us. Being a bully doesn’t make you scary, it makes you worthless”. What he’s basically saying is that you can choose whether to be a bully or not and that it’s you who makes the decision. By hating themselves hurts them more than what others think, that’s why they don’t care if they’re hurting a person, they just do it to feel better because they think control gives them power. Being a bully doesn’t make you scary, it makes you worthless and it’s true because not only are you hurting people but yourself too. You have to live knowing you were hurting those victims.

In my opinion I think being a bully not only makes you worthless but a coward. I don’t see why a person would want to hurt innocent people. Bullies suffer too because they’re the ones causing hurt. It makes children commit suicide because they don’t see a way out or they can’t find one. The fear of the victims telling someone about what’s going on is sometimes too late. A bully’s decision depends on their selves because they make the decision. Remember that if someone is ever trying to bring you down, it’s because you’re above them. You’re the bigger person.