The Helping Hand | Teen Ink

The Helping Hand

By WildRide BRONZE, Peyton, Colorado
WildRide BRONZE, Peyton, Colorado

Why? Am I really all those things? What did I do? 

Our teens of todays society experiance things they never dreamed could happen to them. I never tought I would be the target of a bully. My nightmares became reality when 8th grade started. At first it was normal, people liked me and I had friends. I was orror struck when rumors spread faster than wild fire. I remeber the words, clear as daylight. I felt pain. It wasn't visiable to anybody else but me. I felt lost. There was no one I could trust.

In the begininng of every scool year, we get told that we sould feel safe at scool. They didnt tell us what to do if we woke up every day, terrified of the pain that awaits. Our parents say they will be there for us no matter what. When I first told my parents, they thought I was lying. I had no physical pain that I could show them. Then over time, they started saying I deserved it. I felt that it was me against the world. My only escape was my dreams. Waking up was a struggle. I knew that if I woke up, reality would pound the little hope out of me. It only takes one person. One person to change your fate. One person can change your fear. One person can save you.

Pain builds over time. Eventually it is just a vast sea that over takes your mind. In every sea, is a island. I imagine someone on that island, they can save me. They can be my life raft in tis sea of reality. This sea of pain. One person lending a helping hand can save another person from taking their life. It may seem like a lot but in life, we all have struggles. When facing these struggles, we need some hope. All it takes is a elping hand.

I know that bullying will never disappear. We can't wave a wand and all our probems will be gone. Life is what we make it. It will never be perfect, but there is always room for improvement. We need to start some where. Why not here?

I hope that people will see how bullying is painful.