What I Wish I Could Have Told My Best Friend... | Teen Ink

What I Wish I Could Have Told My Best Friend...

8th grade. The worst year ever for me. Its the year I lost my best friend. Yesterday marked 2 years and 3 months since he left. He did get up and walk out of my life. He was torn out of it, and thats the thing that kills me the most. I didnt even get to say goodbye. Sometimes the greater plan is kind of hard to understand.

September 21, 2013...that is a date that I will remember for the rest of my life. Along with October 1, 2013, because that was the day I had to lay my best friend in the ground.

He had gotten into a car accident heading out hunting, and he died on impact. All because he had forgeten his licence at home so his dad did a U-turn at a four way. Little did he know that that U-turn was gonna cost him his sons life. A lady, not paying attention to the road, hit them. 

The news about it spread an hour later. I was busy camping, and I was heading to shower when I got the call. The call saying that my best friend had died. 

At first I thought it was just some joke, until I got 8 more calls after that telling me the same thing. Thats when I just broke. I collapsed to the ground crying. I couldnt believe it. Him, of all people. 

The next months that followed was torture. I couldnt sleep. I lost so much weight because I couldnt eat. I started self harming and drinking. I was doing anything to help with the pain. It was all to much for me.

My mom put me in therapy when she had found out all the things I had been doing. It made me feel worse. I started attending a girls group because they said it would "help".

I felt so guilty after awhile, and I still do. Guilty that I couldnt save him like he had saved me...

I am bullied so bad. I was back then too. He saved me from killing myself. He was new to our school, and he didnt have very many friends. He stuck up for me when no one else would. To be honest, I was gonna kill myself that day. However, when he stood up for me and started being my friend, it helped me change my mind. I went from having no one, to someone.

I always called him my super hero, and he called me his side kick. Though, he never knew my reasoning for calling him that.

He was my best friend. My super hero. He was the one that saved my life, and I never got to thank him. I never got to tell him how much he means to me. 

Make sure you tell your loved ones how much they mean to you, because tomorrow is never promised.

I love and miss you Nate!

Fly High Bud <3

on May. 23 2017 at 8:24 am
RecoveringAngel2000 BRONZE, Alger, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"My thoughts are stars, that I can not fathom into constellations".

-The Fault In Our Stars

Thank you. He was a great friend. I still miss him so dearly

mplo said...
on Jan. 27 2016 at 6:46 am
This is a very sad, but beautiful story. Sorry about your loss. Losing a best friend or a loved one, especially under such horrific circumstances, is a tragic thing. He sounded like a great person, and somebody that stuck with friends/loved ones through thick and thin. Here's hoping that you find another friend like him, and that things will look up for you again in the future. Take care...and all the best of luck.