Let Your Imagination Fly | Teen Ink

Let Your Imagination Fly

Imagination. What a vague topic. A strange voice in our head that does nothing but narrate our lives, as if it’s reading a story. It can be a scary thing. It’s like this little person in your head that you can’t control. You can’t change its volume, you can’t change its accent. You can’t change its tone or its attitude. It’s impossible, you just can’t. But, there is one thing you can change. You can change what it says about you. You can change the story, all of it, just by thinking. And that comes naturally for most of us. But for others, it’s the biggest challenge. It’s their biggest fear, confronting their thoughts. Thoughts that eat away at their confidence and self esteem.

“I look horrible”, “I am so fat”, “Why can’t I be like her/him”. These are the thoughts that make us feel that we’re not good enough. That we don’t fit in with society. And sure we can try and disregard them, but in reality, they’ll still be there. So we lie in bed, sleepless, trying to figure out why we’re not good enough, why we have so many flaws. But in the end, there is no explanation, it’s how we were made. But some of us just don’t realize that. We believe it’s our fault, that we can change ourselves to “fit in”… But … we can’t… And maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if people knew that. That no matter how hard we try, and how much we pray, we will still be the same.

But they don’t. They don’t understand those sleepless nights. They don’t get why we cry. Why we’re never in class. They don’t understand why we always wear long sleeves to cover our scars. They just don’t get it. They don’t understand what it feels like to want to end it all. And then we think, maybe there is a way. Maybe there’s a way we can run from these thoughts. Maybe if we give it a path out, a path into the world. So we spend more sleepless nights, crying, contemplating, how to let our imagination fly. And then it comes to us. So, we do it.

We let our thoughts fly, We open a path from our mind to the world. After all those sleepless nights, all those tears, and little did we know, all it took was a bullet. We weren’t wanted on that earth anyway, we let our thoughts stay down there as we rose up from our problems. We think we’ve won, but… have we? We haven’t. We became so attached, so obsessed with these thoughts, that we let them win. We let them take over our lives on earth. All of this because of society. All of these people whose own thoughts were telling them to hate us. Telling them to make us feel like we didn't fit in, like we don’t belong. And we listened. If they only knew. If they only knew that we’d still be down there if they changed the one thing they could, their thoughts.

I wrote this for my schools reflection contest, and i thought i would share it here. I personally have seen many people go through this and i just wan't to spread awarness.