How My School Can Stop Bullying | Teen Ink

How My School Can Stop Bullying

By sweetlynn87 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
sweetlynn87 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Teachers don’t see it, but there’s always some conflict going on around the hallways of my school whether it’s verbal or physical. A teacher could be standing at the end of a hallway and there would be 2 people arguing about something, these 2 people are very to getting into a fight and the teacher would not notice. Nobody would try and stop it because with how our world is today, everyone is afraid to stand up for one another because they’ll get stepped down.

Mentally challenged people definitely have trouble fitting in because people in this world tend to take advantage of the fact that someone who has a learning disability or down syndrome can't read social cues, don’t know the difference between right and wrong.

I am a victim of bullying, I also try to be a bystander. It is hard sometimes because I tend to get scared. What I have tried to do to stop bullying is volunteer for a down syndrome charity. This charity raises money for family who are about to welcome a child with down syndrome in their lives. I try to be a bystander for my friends because I know what It’s like to be stepped down and made to feel like I’m worthless or I don’t  belong here.
I am part of a school that puts effort into anti-bullying ideas. Like “spread the word, to end the word”. Spread the word, to end the word is about replacing the word “retarded” with the word “respect. What my school does is take a large poster-like piece of paper with the words- “spread the word, to end the word”- and have people sign it with permanent marker, later getting a bracelet with the same words on it. Then, every year, we would have a whole week where we wear certain colors or clothes in honor of people who have survived cancer, struggles over bullying, attempted suicide ECT.

There are many ways to show your support for people who have been wronged by others who don’t think or even care about other around them. It’s called taking a stand against bullies. being a bystander, doing whatever it takes to let the bully know that what hes doing is not right.