No Title | Teen Ink

No Title

April 2, 2015
By Anonymous

I know how it feels to be bullied. I’ve been bullied for years to the point where I couldn't take it anymore and wanted a way out. I like being odd, but I shouldn't be put down for it. I would wear all black and have a punk look, so you can imagine what people would say. “Emo girl,” “cutter,” “gothic girl,” “weird emo kid” … I felt horrible about myself and I felt like I was alone.


Because of the bullying, depression set in. Everyday was a constant reminder that I was different.  My parents found out how bad the bullying was freshman year and told the school counselor. I was taken out of class. I was nervous (even though it wasn’t my fault). I soon found out the guidance counselor just wanted to know what was happening. I had a talk with my counselor about how I felt and how bullying happened constantly and made me doubt myself. It needed to stop. The counselor took it seriously and talked to the kids who were  picking on me and then it all stopped. And I got peace. 

It’s good to be different and I think my high school does their best at supporting people's differences. After the bullying stopped, I began to branch out and learn about clubs at my school. At my school, we have GSA (gay straight alliance) and Best Buddies (which supports kids with disabilities) and Key Club (which promotes philanthropy).


The GSA club is important to me because I have gay friends and I know they get put down for being something they didn’t choose to be. The GSA club is about acceptance. This club reminds students that no one should be left out or put down--and they make sure anyone and everyone is welcome. In April, we have a day at our school called no hate day. The purpose of this day is to promote pride to gay people and to support them.


Being bullied before I don’t judge others. I know everyone is different. I use to feel alone I know now I'm not.