Marvin | Teen Ink

Marvin

March 26, 2015
By konehead10 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
konehead10 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My friend, Adrian joined Best Buddies this year and met our new squad member, Marvin. Marvin has a certain cognitive disability. Best Buddies is a club where kids with disabilities get a friend that they can do activities with. Best Buddies gives the kids a chance to experience a high school life.


Marvin made our friend group different. Right when Adrian met Marvin, we all knew he was going to be a great addition because he made us smile.


It goes from the times he's playing tag with us and saying, “you’re it, I quit!”, to balling out at the YMCA with him. Some of my friends also participated in a talent show contest with him, they were dancing and the smile on Marvin's face was priceless. I’ve never seen someone so happy. We thought as a group of friends, it was a good idea to get him out of the house and hangout and have fun. We took him to one of the girls’ basketball games and he got to stand in front row and you could tell he was having the greatest time. Because usually kids with disabilities don’t get to experience what it’s like to be in a student section in their time at High School.


As you can see, it’s not the big things that make a difference; instead,, it’s the little things like hanging out with someone who you can tell needs a friend. That’s the way we prevent bullying.