Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

By 6scheifen SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6scheifen SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Bullying happens all around us, with harmful words that cause red faces and wet pillows. Bullying is the same everywhere--there is no running from the harsh words, hurtful fist, or the hateful messages.

My grandmother told me how horrible technology is, and I’d laugh and ignore it. But as I get older, I realized how much she was right. When my grandmother was growing up, if someone was being bullied, they went home and felt safe. But in my generation, we can’t escape the hateful words. It’s all because of social media. Apps have been created to send anonymous messages. Teenagers use that power to mentally hurt someone. And that’s exactly what the app Yik Yak easily became.

My friends were talking nonstop  about the cool new app everyone was getting so I got it too. Once I got it, over a dozen anonymous post came in. It was fun to read everything...that was, until the hate started. I remember sitting in the lunch room, and everyone talked loudly and enjoyed their lunch. Then, people started posting about a teacher and girls personal lives. “Miss Hans doesn’t know how to teach,” “Amber wears so much makeup she looks like a clown,” “Amber sleeps with everyone I’m surprised she doesn’t have an STD,” “Amber? More like Jessica. They are friends they probably share guys.”

I felt bad for the girls being bashed but what was I to do? Shortly after the hate started to spread, the faculty became aware of the situation and put an end to it. They blocked the app, found who was posting and stopped it from happening at school.

The following Monday everyone received a sticky note on their locker of encouraging statements. It showed it takes just a couple people to make someone’s day but even less to ruin it. I learned  everyone should end the hate.

Now, there are signs throughout school of encouragement. The app is dead and there is less bullying. There will always be that one person to make people feel bad but my school will continue to work together as One Team to end bullying.