Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

By jargue11 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
jargue11 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

My high school reminds its students that they are the same. AMy school has teachers students can go to for help, and puts on events such as a “No H8 Week.” My school’s efforts help to remind students we are the same--and organizations and clubs provide students with opportunities to fit in.

And at my school, bullying isn’t relevant. With the success that has been had, the clubs are outreaching to adjacent communities. As a part of the football team, I have been able to experience anti-bullying efforts first-hand.

Last year, 20 of my fellow football teammates and I volunteered at St. William’s Catholic Church in Waukesha. We packed 750 backpacks with school supplies--the fancy Crayons, coolest folders, and best pencils.

We formed assembly lines and put school necessities into the backpacks. That way, kids wouldn’t be looked down on by their peers.

The backpacks were for the Back to School Backpack Program--for underprivileged kids of Waukesha County. They ranged anywhere from kindergarten through eighth grade and were for boys and girls.

These boys and girls faced more adversity than we have had to go through--coming from a less fortunate area. These kids could be bullied because they couldn’t afford school supplies. By giving them loaded backpacks, they were able to come into the school year the same as any other student. This was comforting because I knew those kids would be appreciative.

Not only does my school keep bullying to a minimum within its own walls, but it also  helps other communities as well. I feel fortunate I was able to help underprivileged children of Waukesha County because they have enough problems at home, and they don’t need more at school.