Time to Stand Up | Teen Ink

Time to Stand Up

It is time to stand up

What are we going to do David?
I do not know, we have to do something about the bully. But What?
I have an idea, We should pay someone to protect us?
Lets be honest that will only work for the time being we need a better idea.
How about we prepare ourselves by going punch for punch. Would you do that?
Yeah why not, that seems like a good idea.
But Josh we have a problem, who will go first?
If you punch me first then I will not be able to punch you back, thats not fair.
Fine you are right so how should we figure out who gets to go first?
Um how bout we flip a coin that solves everything.
We would still have the same problem though. But whatever we got to toughen up anyways.
True. Heads or tails call it in the air. One two three flip.
Heads!
Dammit it is heads you go first.
I have a problem, I don’t know how to punch. Does it hurt your hand if you punch someone?
Haha that is a big problem good thing we are practicing. If you get a good hit it should not hurt. You should aim for the nose if you really want to hurt them.
No I wouldnt do that, that would hurt someone too much.
Ok Im ready, here it goes. One two three Pow!!!.
OW!!!! That killed!!! Not to bad for someone who doesnt know how to punch. Why did you have to punch my right arm, you know I am a righty. How do you expect me to punch you back now?
Just gIve it a minute, hopefully it will ware off.
It starting to feel better, I am ready now.
One two three POW!!!
OW!!!! Now I cant feel my right arm either. Hopefully it will go before tomorrow or else we have a problem.
I think we might be ready to take on the bully now.
That day we left the park in all sorts of pain, but with our heads held high ready to take on that bully the next day. 

When I was eavesdropping for my short story I heard some very interesting conversations but I decided to use the one about fighting. When people are talking they don't realize that each and every word they are saying can be turned into a story. If you understand what is going on and what people are saying you can use a few lines here and there from each person and put together a short story where each line is a quote from the conversation you just overheard.. An important thing that many people forget about when writing is the usage of syntax. Without syntax your story will make sense but your reader might not get the message you are trying to give off.