Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

By NickKazma BRONZE, Coconut Creek, Florida
NickKazma BRONZE, Coconut Creek, Florida

Bullying is a problem all around the world. People have only taken little steps to stop bullying. Depression, anxiety, and sleep difficulties are some effects bullying can leave behind. The bullies even have side effects such as academic problems, substance use, and violence in adulthood. Everyone involved with bullying has a problem, so why not try to stop it?

Bullying can be physical or mental. Nearly 1 in 3 students are bullied, but 64% do not report bullying.  People get bullied for many reasons, but most people get bullied about the way they look.  According to Davis and Nixon 2010 16% of victims got bullied because of their race. 84% of overweight students got called names and 64% enrolled in weight loss programs because of experiencing bullying.

The second form of bullying is online, the term for it is cyber bullying. The CDC 2014 says that of the 19.6% of  high school students that reported bullying 14.8% said it was online. 52% of victims say that they have been bullied online. How do people bully online is a question many people have the answer is leaking embarrassing or damaging photos of another or sending hurtful and hateful messages.

In conclusion bullying is a major problem. Schools need more bully prevention, but they just don't realize it. Bullying can mess up someones future by having a negative impact on them. People who have been bullied are 3.3 times more likely to commit suicide than someone who has not been bullied. Students find peer actions helpful when trying to get out of a situation, so next time you see someone getting bullied don’t be a bystander.

brandon said...
on Jan. 15 2015 at 9:21 am
Great article but why don't you try to included some story's from true people who have been bulled I was bulled I know how they feel i haven't thought of ending it because I know life can get way better then what it was four years ago, again Good article