Sticks and Stones | Teen Ink

Sticks and Stones

By daisiesandinsanity BRONZE, Athens, Alabama
daisiesandinsanity BRONZE, Athens, Alabama

"To be human is to be beautifully flawed."

When I was a little girl I was told the rhyme “sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you.” What they didn’t understand was that words hurt worse than a knife twisting into your heart. At age six I thought they were joking. “Your eyes are big like my baby dolls. Its strange,” they would say. At age 9 I thought they were just picking on me. “You talk funny,” they would say. At age 12 I started to catch on. “You’re weird.” “You’re fat.” “You’re ugly.” The words would keep snowballing one right after the other. At age 13 I started to do something about it. I discovered the world of depression. “Stop eating,” I would tell myself. “Stop talking. You talk funny, remember?” “Stop breathing.” They told us words never hurt, but you know what did hurt? Dragging a blade across my skin to ease myself from the pain that they had caused me by the things that they said. When I tried to go to a counselor all they said was “Bullies will be bullies, you just have to learn to ignore them.” When I tried to ignore them, they pushed me. “Why are you trying to act tough? Everyone knows you’re weak.” I tried to stick up for myself because God knows I didn’t have any real friends that would.  “Stop trying to be brave, you’re worthless,” they would say. One time when I was little I remember hearing this story on the news. A little boy had drowned in the river. I remember thinking about how scary drowning was. Looking back on this, I now realize that I too was drowning.

on Jan. 5 2015 at 12:00 am

Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. :)

on Jan. 4 2015 at 12:26 pm
HappyEmeal GOLD, Lahore, Other

When life knocks you down, Dhuzzz! Just puzza back up!!!

Wow. This is so beautiful. It's really sad to read what you wrote but it is also nice to know there is someone out there who knows what I am going through. I hope things get better and people stop bothering you. Watching Ryan Higa's youtube videos helps me, so I would advise you to watch them too. It really helps. :)