A Typical Day at School

In Han dynasty China, it was a common custom to leave enemies horribly disfigured but alive. It served as a message to all who would rise against them that you would die or forever carry the scars of your defiance. By the time they were done with you, however, Death would be a welcome friend.  Not all scars, however, are carried by the body. Some are much deeper.

“I always knew how things worked here,” an anonymous source said. For now, we’ll call her Juri X. “You could get away with anything you wanted, just as long as you were pretty or social enough. Doesn’t matter what sort of drugs, boozing, or crimes. You’ll get away with it so long as you have status.”

Juri is a high school student of a middle class family and had been a bullying victim until about three months ago. Her good days were basically just having the world ignore her and just not hurt her. Bad days were being made fun of constantly. Even good days became torturous after a few years though. “I made friends with other outcasts like me and I saw them get pushed around and made fun of. And there wasn’t a #$&% thing I could do.”

Naturally, this began to take its toll. Juri began developing social anxiety, depression, and suicidal tendencies. “There was a lot that changed in my 7th grade year. I couldn’t ask for a pencil anymore, I couldn’t leave my house to go see my friends because I was afraid that they would be there. I at one point cut myself because I couldn’t actually feel. I had numbed myself so much. To everything.”

Then, one night, things all became too much. “I came home, sobbing my eyes out because at school, some girls tried to sit on my lap because they said I probably enjoyed it because I was such a virgin. I snapped and yelled at them. I don’t remember what it was anymore. But I was sent to the office. Like all people in his line of work, the principal said why did I say that to honor students, why didn’t I tell anyone they were bullying me, why don’t you just ignore them? I had only one answer. ‘Why do you think it’s that easy?’” Juri had been given three weeks of ISS for disorderly conduct. Her parents, Mr. and Mrs. X, found her in the bath room, trying to find the courage to down her entire bottle of depression medication. Tearful doesn’t begin to describe the scene, according to Juri. “I was crying from fear. They cried from heartbreak. We all cried from one little bottle of pills though.”

The X’s decided enough was enough. “I didn’t want to try to believe my daughter when she said our cat scratched her,” Mrs. X said. “That man {the principal} had the audacity to tell Juri that she should stop making heinous claims against honor students. Whose honor? They turned my little girl into a mess of anxiety.”

But through it all she found hope in one idea; vengeance. No, not like that bad horror movie “The Final” from 2010. But in what she calls self-inflicted vengeance.  “For me, there has always been a bittersweet hope that someday all those who hurt me would bring suffering on themselves. Now I see it taking shape. All those kids who hurt me are drunks. They get arrested, get bad grades, try weed and LSD. I have a chance at success.”

L0g@n said...
That went dark fast.