The Rat Trap | Teen Ink

The Rat Trap

“Stand and Fight,” I shout at you.  I can tell by your look of confusion that your wondering why I am here. 
Although this is your usual picking grounds you are missing your pack for the time being.
Today would not be the day “The Rat” scampers away and hides.
Today would not be the day “The Rat” fears recess.
Today would be the day “The Rat” meets the wolf pack face-to-face.
“Oh ho ho,” you say sarcastically, “so The Rat has decided to get his pay early today.”
You and your unrelenting “payments,” as you called them are merely beating up the weakest link.  After noticing the rukus, your trusty companions group up on either side of you.
“Ah, he’s shown his face early today, Boss,” comments Richard, your right hand man.
Although all three of you are bulky, he is the shortest.
“Aw, then we won't get to enjoy hunting him down,” says Christian.
The third and final member of your wolf pack decided a year ago that the “If you can’t beat them join them” approach is safer than staying friends with me.
“Oh well, I guess we can do something else during recess then., you  say. However, what you don’t know is your day at school ends during this recess.
You had been keeping up on your brutish “Payments” for two and a half years.  You make everyone feel inferior with your hacking words and bashing punches.  But even as my self esteem was crushed before my eyes, I plotted for the day I could show you up.
“Cristian, Richard, get him.” You spit as orders to your comrades.
You have never changed your tactics.  Always sending them on me first, there is no risk of getting hurt.  However, that was because my strategy was to run for these last two and a half years.  This time I want to fight you. 
As your minions were about to reach me in my unmoving state, I changed and opened in a dead sprint aiming for the gap in between their bulky bodies.  I would narrowly pass by them.  That’s when I saw the most satisfying face in the world.
You, with fear in your eyes.  But before I could finish this fight He would step in.
“Stop right there.” shouts the principal of our little school looking straight at me “I know I said to stand up for yourself, but this is too far.” He then glares at you and your companions.
“You three in my office, Now!”
And that is how my two and a half years of torment would finally end.  By relying on dirty tricks like telling an adult where this “fight” was going to happen.  Setting the trap and you falling right into it.  Who’s the rat caught in the mousetrap now?