FLINTface | Teen Ink

FLINTface

By Lorrae98 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Lorrae98 SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

What has the world come to when a child must hide their tears from their parents and peers,
when a child is afraid to step onto the bus or walk down the school hallways. What is a world
when a child must hide individuality, what fun is conformity and fitting in.Who is the person
who must single out a person for thinking in a different way, after all creativity is what molds
the future. Why does a person think that making others sad will make them happy. Why does a person have to hide from the eyes of their classmates, for fear of being judged and mocked. It’s a sad day when a person is afraid to come to school because of the people there.

So tell me where a child is supposed to turn when the world closes in on them, where they can hide when their classmates taunts and remarks fly at them like bullets. We all find out unfortunately yount that school is not as safe as it appeared to be. It make take a few years but everyone falls into a group or place, there are however the unfortunate few who cannot find their place and are doomed to spend the rest of their school career labeled an outcast.

For as long as i can remember i’ve watched while children mock and criticize each other, but as hard as you try it’s not easy to stay invisible forever and at some point those people spot you and you become their next target for however long it takes them to find new prey. You become the point of their mean and hurtful words spotting out flaws that you don't even have. I can only hope that one day kids won't be afraid to go to school, even be excited to learn and see their peers, i hope that everyone can walk down the hall with some amount of confidence. There is still a chance for kids to enjoy school and someday kids won't be so mean.