The Master's Puppet | Teen Ink

The Master's Puppet

September 1, 2014
By Anonymous

            Sitting in my room at nine o’clock at night, groggy and about to fall asleep, I got a text from him, again. So, I picked up the phone and started texting back. He was so sweet at first; we would have these nice, light conversations. He’d always know how to make me laugh. But now, he’s so dark. He just texts and texts about nothing, about everything. He always seems to find the perfect string to pluck to get me do what he wanted.

            The stings attached to my thumbs were what kept me writing back to me. And he would keep me up, till one or two o’clock in the morning. He always yelled when I didn’t text back fast enough claiming that I didn’t care about him anymore.

            He was so angry, at me, at his parents, at the world. He showed me a side of him that I never wanted to see. I was so scared for myself and him that I was willing to do almost anything not to make him mad, whatever he wanted to talk about, I talked about. Whenever he wanted to talk to me, I talked to him then.

            He told me things that still whisper in my ears. That I still can’t get out of my head, two years later. He manipulated me into doing his bidding. And now, I can’t trust anyone else.

            I’m scared of getting close to anyone, yet I still crave that relationship.

            Although, he’s a lot better now, I’m still scared that he’ll try it again, or someone else will. But he made me stronger, he made me realize that I can’t trust everyone like I thought I could. And for that, I am in his debt. 


The author's comments:

an account about how an 'innocent' relationship can turn into something horrible fast