Black Bird Sings | Teen Ink

Black Bird Sings

August 15, 2014
By Lunar-Lupin BRONZE, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Lunar-Lupin BRONZE, Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Stage is set up like a classroom.
Black Bird: Sorry I am late…
Teacher: Class, we have a new student joining our choir today. I would like you all to welcome our newest addition, Black Bird! Now, honey, would you like to sing a song for us?
Black Bird: No thanks.
Teacher: You don’t have to have to prepare anything. I just need to know where to place you in the choir. You can sing anything, even Happy Birthday!
BB: mumbles something
Teacher: What was that?
BB: I said I can’t sing. At least not in front of people… I’m just here because everyone has to take a music class.
Teacher: Well, I am sorry to hear that. Go sit by the birds over there.
Bird 1: What kind of bird can’t sing?
Bird 2: Yeah, he is such a loser!
Bird 3: He’s not like the rest of us; we should stay away from him.
All other birds say similar mean things
Blue: Hey, come over and join us Black Bird!
Finch: Yeah, come on and join the rest of us oddballs!
BB goes over and sits/stands by the trio.
Teacher: All right; class dismissed
All exit except Raven, Blue, Finch and Black Bird
Raven: My name is Raven; this is Blue and Finch.
All say “How’s it going?” or “How’re doing?”
Finch: Now, why don’t you want to sing?
Black Bird: I can’t sing at all
Blue: Sure you can; maybe not so well, but you can!
Raven: Or you could at least hum.
Black Bird: All right, hums, I don’t like to sing. I get stage fright.
Finch: That’s okay. How about we all sing with you tomorrow? Will that help?
Black Bird: I guess…
Raven: I used to get stage fright too, but now I just imagine that the whole audience is in their underwear and it makes me feel less frightened.
Finch: Let’s head over to my house and work on choosing a song.
They exit. The rest of the class enters and they get set up as if they were in a classroom and it is the next day. Black Bird and the trio enter
Bird 4: Hey look everyone it’s toneless, the only non-singing song bird in the world
Bird 5: Maybe we should get him a duck call, then he would at least sound like some kind of bird!
Raven: Quit tooting your beaks! we’re here to sing a song together, is that OK teacher?
Teacher: Go right ahead


The author's comments:
This is another short one act I wrote for a play about bullying. This act is meant to illustrate that teasing and exclusion from a group are common and hurtful forms of bullying. If anyone wishes to use this one act in a show to teach children about bullying as I have done, feel free, just give me some form of credit.