Fat-Shaming | Teen Ink

Fat-Shaming

By audreyjoyb BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
audreyjoyb BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman is seen in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.
~~Audrey Hepburn~~

Summer is upon us and, along with the season of popsicles and sun, comes what has been dubbed the “swimsuit season.” Many girls find themselves panicking over the thought of donning a bathing suit and heading to the pool or beach under the scrutiny of fellow sun bathers. Even guys feel insecure in their own skin at the prospect of ditching their t-shirts and baring some skin. Studies have shown that 44% of girls and 15% of guys are attempting to lose weight, often using drastic methods that may lead to depression, eating disorders, and anxiety. The number of teenagers and adults with healthy self-esteem lower year by year and this emotional epidemic brings a need for self- and societal-examination. One of the essential and most alarming origins of nationwide self-esteem issues can be attributed to the ever-present and ever-problematic issue of fat-shaming.
Fat-shaming is defined as discrimination or stereotyping based on one's weight, especially very large or thin people. Although it is rarely acknowledged as a valid issue in the media, fat-shaming is an issue that cuts for deeper into the nation’s psychosis than some may realize. It reaches beyond what teenagers read in magazines and advertisements which tell them they must be a certain weight, color, or height to be beautiful. More often than not, insecurities regarding body image stem from remarks of relatives or peers. In a study carried out among a group of female students, 80% of claimed that their negative body image was linked to the negative remarks made by friends and family. Whether you are aware of the effect your jokes have, comments regarding appearance have lasting effects on the people around you.
Whether you are merely commenting “she could wear a more flattering bathing suit,” “she might need to think about a one piece,” or making a joke about “whale watching,” remember someone is always listening. Even saying someone needs to lose weight because it is “healthy” is unnecessary and inappropriate. A person’s body is their own domain and if their appearance does not fit into the unattainable mold that society and the media wants to be portrayed as beauty then don’t look at them. This applies to the men as well; they should not be expected to look like Channing Tatum any more than the ladies should be held up to the standard of Kate Upton. By telling someone not to wear what they are most comfortable or confident in is equivalent to telling them self-confidence is not allowed and your inaccurate construct of beauty is more important than their self-esteem. Summer can be a fun time for everyone if we just remember to be kind and considerate no matter the size, shape, or gender. Allow people to define themselves, rather than doing it for them under the guise of a joke or through a catty comment.