Treat us equal! | Teen Ink

Treat us equal!

By AutumStarr808 SILVER, Fremont, Nebraska
AutumStarr808 SILVER, Fremont, Nebraska

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

We are all people. We all come in different shapes and sizes. Its crazy how different we are on the outside but how equal we are on the inside. I have heard that sentence many times before. But its a lie, we are not all the same on the inside. People have different thoughts and feelings. Things that make them standout. Some peoples hearts are chipped and cracked or have missing pieces and all we have to blame is the one word that nobody knows the true definition of, equality.The declaration of Independence says all men are created equal, therefore all men should be treated as equals. I think this way because Most people can’t grasp the concept that all people are different inside and out. People don’t realize that the person they are making fun of can’t change the way they were made. Nobody can see through the blindness of the world and see that you can’t single out people with labels and expect them to be okay with it.

People have skin and bones and a brain and a heart but does that make them the same? No. It doesn’t because all people have their own talents and secrets. The human brain is a complex thing that matches everyone elses on the outside. But on the inside its like an explosion that is beyond different from everyone else. Nobody is treated equal because people don’t look inside to see the difference. They don’t search for the one thing that proves that that person is as different and special as you are. There are kids being buried by all the stuff going on around them that it is just to hard to find out who they really are. They just assume the world will never change, and in that they have no hope of ever accomplishing anything greater than pretending to be who they are not. Everyone is different and the human race doesn’t accept the ones who have the power to be bold and be themselves. We block out what we wish we had. The people we bully in the hallways, the people we call names and throw stuff at the people that we make feel like they are worthless are the strongest people alive. The people that everyone feels so negatively about are the ones doing everything exactly right. They are being who they are and not just following everyone elses string of importance. They live for themselves they are strong and bold and are looping out of the flow of the human race for a better cause and for some reason we discriminate them for it.

People don’t just choose to be born as a American or a Mexican. It wasn’t up to them to decide whether or not a boy would fall in love with another boy. Nobody got to pick their genes. Its not like they wrote a letter to god begging to be african american then were born that way. People are judged everyday as if they chose to be white or asian or straight. People, boys and girls are taking their own lives because they hate themselves for being the way they are. People hate them so much that they learned to hate themselves just as bad. I know all of this because I once met a man. This man wore a mask. His mask was invisible but I could still noticed it. Behind the mask which was plastered with a fake smile and joyful eyes was a frown and sadness filled to the brink with tears. Everyday I saw the man in his mask. Everyday his mask slowly started to fade. I thought things were getting better until the day that I followed the man to his home. I knocked gently and when he answered I told him about his mask and how I knew he was wearing it. He invited me in. When I asked him his story he led me to a table. Where a took a seat and looked around. The man was a drinker no wonder he wore a frown. I noticed the words “Gay Pride” carved into his door. And I saw all the beer cans that littered the floor. I looked into the mans eyes and noticed he removed his mask and he began his story. He explained to me that he happened to be gay. It honestly never bothered me. I asked why he didn’t have a partner and I noticed I had struck a nerve. The drunken man led me out the door without a word. I let time pass as I never saw the man on the street again i asked around and a woman of many colors holding a flag reading “equality” lead me to a graveyard where I saw his headstone right next to another mans together it made a “=” sign which made me understand. The men didn’t get to choose who they got to be. They didn’t choose to fall in love but they did. They hated themselves because thats what people made them do. Why should they have to die because they are different? Yes it was their choice and no it wasn’t foolish they were just too weak to hold themselves up because they didn’t see the point in it. They knew the world was never going to change. We all have to work together to hold each other up. We are the ones being foolish and selfish by not doing our part.

Everyday hearts break, people die, babies are born, life goes on. For a lot of people those three words are golden. The term “gay” is a label meaning a person who likes the same sex. People use it as an insult when really it shouldn’t be. They use “Gay” like its something nobody should ever be. People act like its the worst crime ever able to commit. I don’t know how to change the way people think. I can’t change the world with my words but maybe I can help it. Why do you judge them? Why is it okay to put them down just because they are different and created their own flow instead of following everybody else. They don’t judge you for who you love, so why do it to them? Nobody is making a law against you saying you are wrong because you love somebody. I guess I just don’t understand the attacks on the gay community. I shouldnt even be saying that “Gay Community” they are not their own. We are all equals and its time to stand up and show ourselves out to the world. We need to break the flow of mankind and be ourselves we can’t all just sit around and wait for the world to change. Have you ever heard the phrase “Actions speak louder than words”? Well its time to make it happen.

We are all people. We all have families and loved ones. They may be different than yours but that doesn’t mean they should be treated different. But something even worse than being against “gays” is saying that you feel for them them. Saying that you hate the people that are against them. But you are not taking a stand either. You are all talk and no walk. There will never be a change because of you people. If you want to help and make all people equal like they are meant to be then you need to take a stand and get up and make it that way. It takes no compromise to give people their rights. It takes no money to respect others. It takes no political deal to give people freedom. It takes no time to just give up on the fight and let everyone be equal. And with this I believe the people are out of excuses on why gays should not be treated equally.

My bestfriend happens to be gay and im real tired of seeing his scars and that fake mask everyday.