Words Hurt, Words Kill

“Why don’t you go kill yourself?” They laugh.
“Yeah, maybe I will.” I see her disappear behind the school building.
How disgusting do you think it is? To tell someone to kill themselves?
She has discarded me now, and she doesn’t even know it.
Or does she?
Every time I look at her, I see something has gone flat in her eyes. Only I know how many pounds she has lost in the past weeks. Only I know why she cannot wear her favorite tank top anymore: she is running out of places to cut. And only I know that she is dying inside.
There are some things that only I know about her, and yet she fears me.
She doesn’t ever face me, but I still search for her in every second of my existence.

She is hurt. And she is hurt really bad. She cannot look at herself in the mirror without thinking how ugly she looks. But do you know how beautiful she really is? So innocent, that she believes you? You are the reason as to why she dreads waking up everyday and living her life. She feels hollow and futile, like a vessel filled with nothingness.
Are you aware of the damage you cause? Are you subconsciously wishing to be her? You drove her to cut into her skin, to make herself bleed to feel the pain. You make her feel worthless. It’s your taunts and nasty words that have led her to what she does, to try and escape what you're doing to her mind.
Who knew, a rumor could be the reason as to why she wears a bandage on her arms to cover up the scars she inflicted onto herself and the reason why she sits there feeling so alone and fed up. You call her 'hideous', you tell her that she's not good enough, and that can't ever be.
But do you realise that she believes you? That she believes every word of it?
Do you realise that she would come home and cry into her pillow just wanting shut everything out and go to sleep forever? She has forgotten that imperfection exists in everyone, not in just her but in the entire universe. In you.
Her smallest scratch holds hours of tears and hatred. This disease has reached her mind. And the amount of scars on her outside does not show the amount of suffering on her inside.
You call her fat, and yet at some points in her life, if she'd eaten any less, she would have died of starvation. Your words are killing her, depressing her, and pushing her deep into her shell.
She is not empty, though. She is full of life. She is full of love, compassion and inspiration.
She has not given up. For I will not let her. She is beautiful inside and out. She doesn't need to hide behind five inches of makeup and mar her beauty.
While she has to distract herself from the unstable emotions you put in her mind, she knows she will get over it. She knows, within her, that it will only make her stronger in the end. She knows you will not win. The cutting and suicide, well attempted, will soon be a thing of her past. You saw through her facade, you knew she was vulnerable.
But she laughed, so she didn't cry. She smiled, so she didn't scream. And the fidgeting, so she didn't cut. Your words pierced through her heart and crushed it.
You made her reach her lowest of lows but now she's a phoenix rising from the ashes.

She still has so much lose. She's way too young to believe that it’s not going to be okay. In the meantime, I am here. Looking out for her. And I will always be here. For I am her soul and she needs me.

Poetintraining said...
Jun. 25 at 2:00 pm
This is a very meaningful poem! You really can tell a story! Everything in me has sympathy for this girl. Way to weave a picture  

Popcornjazz said...
Jun. 25 at 1:59 pm
That was so deep I can't explain it was all so so good

Gummybearrr said...
May 1 at 8:39 am
this poem is one of the best i have ever read.. I can relate to this sooooooo much! i used to be like this. I still am sometimes.. but thank you for writing.. you have a true gift

im_jadester_babyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 26 at 5:06 pm
this is an aaaamazing poem. you really explained the concept on bullying and what can happen to people when they get bullied like that. i love the persepective on it. maybe you can also do a perspective on how the victim feels because of it.

f_logicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 22 at 3:52 pm
Oh my. This was beautifully written. This described a time in my life, I love how it was coming from a certain perspective. Absolutely amazing.

Nella.Girl97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 14 at 4:39 pm
This is amazing! Wow! I hope it gets published in the magazine! You did an amzing job and wrote the truth!

ImmortalRoseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 13 at 4:30 pm
You are right... Words hurt... So badd.

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 13 at 4:30 pm
I like this a lot, it's very true! My favorite part was the last paragraph, beautifully written :)

GhostBeam said...
Apr. 13 at 2:31 pm
It was sad at first, but then it got hopeful.

NobuoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 8 at 5:28 pm
Viewtiful, now I wanna cut myself :D

CookieMonster24This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 8 at 5:42 pm
Then I'm going to write an article about you. XD