A Controversial View of Bullying | Teen Ink

A Controversial View of Bullying

By Rippey_Avenger SILVER, Jefferson, Iowa
Rippey_Avenger SILVER, Jefferson, Iowa

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep, slowly then all at once."-- John Green The Fault in Our Stars

Okay, you have all seen somebody get pushed down or called a slur of some sort. When I was younger I was that kid getting beat down on a daily basis, and being called terrible things, so it will surprise you when I say that I am not against bullying. I am against the people who make it seem bad. I have heard of people killing them selves because they were called a slut one too many times. Last year I was called a 'faggot' over a hundred times guaranteed, and they weren't joking. They were trying to hurt me, and I ignored it. I know not everybody is good at that, so yeah bullying is wrong, but without it I wouldn't be able to write, or see the world through the eyes I see it through. One day in 7th grade a kid took me and attempted to punch me, missing multiple times, and then through me down as hard as he could on to the gym floor, I was knocked out for a minute or two. I didn't get all pissed off, and go and try to sue the school or kill myself, because he made me stronger. If we look at bullying as something bad, and say people kill themselves because of it, then more people are going to kill themselves, because we are telling them that if you get made fun of you can kill yourself, and it is okay we will blame it all on somebody else, but when somebody goes suicide it is that person's fault, they are the one that didn't seek help. If they had went and told a few teachers or maybe even there parents then somebody would have been able to help. We need to make sure people know that suicide because somebody made fun of you isn't the answer. What we are doing is telling people that the way to get the bully punished is to kill yourself, but really the bully probably needs more help than the kid getting bullied. We need to look at both sides, some cases that I have heard about the bully was getting beat up and he turned it around on the person and the person went and killed themselves, and the bully was punished, when he was a victim standing up for themselves. We need to get it to stop in a way different than what we are doing now, because we had less people killing themselves when we did nothing. Did people kill themselves because of bullies in the 50's or 60's, not as much as they are today.

Some of this stuff isn't what people want to hear, but it is what people need to hear. I think that we need to change are ways, to save lives and keep kids out of jail for crimes that they did not commit.