Freeing Myself

First, let's get something straight. This is not a sap story. I'm not writing this to make you feel sad. I'm sharing my story so that you can be inspired, so that you can be encouraged, this is evidence that bullies don't last forever.

My bully story probably isn't as harsh as many out there. I was never beat up, what makes this story great is my recovery.

My bully was always the favorite of all my elementary school teachers. She was the picture-perfect kid, freckles included. Whenever I was bullied, I did the thing any kid would do- I told. Needless to say, I was never believed. No teacher, throughout elementary school, ever believed me, including the guidance counselor and principal. My bully would rally a few other girls and gang up on me, calling me names and generally just making me feel worthless. Whenever I asked to play with another girl in class, my bully would run up and tell me I wasn't aloud to play because my socks were mismatched, or my hair was too long. Don't get me wrong, I told my parent's too, but sadly their voice was not very influential on the school system.

I was once working out in the hallway when my bully walked past and told me that another girl said that I smelled bad. She pretended to be my friend and even went to the teacher to tell with me. The teacher investigated, but it turns out that my bully was only playing games with me. When I found this out, I started crying really, really hard. I eventually started to hyperventilate; it wasn't fair that no one believed me!

Being the very clumsy person I am, I often fell down- stairs, sidewalk, moon-bounces- if I could fall somewhere I would. My bully never failed to laugh and throw out a "witty" remark.

After a Chinese-Gift exchange at Christmas, I received a Littlest Pet Shop toy set. That same day on the bus, my bully corned me and made me hand over the toy.

Throughout middle school I was still plagued by my bully's malignity, even though we didn't see each other nearly as often. I became depressed and stopped talking to people- parents, teachers, you name it. Because of my experiences in elementary school I simply assumed that no teacher would ever help when the abuse happened. I became a strong believer in suffering silently.

This is the good part.
December 31, 2011. I sat up all night, alone and at home, busily making a New Year's Resolution's list. The very first thing? Stop feeling sorry for myself. I realized that the root of all my unhappiness was one simple girl, a girl that had been controlling my life since the first grade.

It's been a little over a year now, and my life has changed tremendously. I've made a million friends, I have a babysitting job, but most of all, I speak out against bullying all over my school and community. I'm the president of my freshman class, I have plans to go to an Ivy League school, I'm making fantastic grades.
Don't get me wrong, the road here was very long, and very tough, but the end result was completely worth it.

I want to inspire you, reader, to stand up for yourself. I'm ashamed that I let my abuse go on for so long, up until high school! No bully is ever too small, no bully is ever too clever to be unnoticed. If you feel bullied, tell someone. If they don't believe you, tell someone else! I only wish that I had kept telling people until someone listened. No bully ever has the right to make you feel bad about yourself, no bully should ever make you unhappy. I think that the point of all humanity to to help each other, to do good and and be kind. If you ever feel like someone is not expressing their humanity correctly, tell them. By simply facing the bully and saying "That was rude." or, "That was mean", you can fight back! Bullies pick on people that are weaker. Show bullies just how strong you are! I wish that I could do thing over again, to stand up for myself, to stop the abuse.

You are strong and you are worth people's time. Stand up for yourself and don't ever take abuse.

KJ-loveThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 23 at 3:59 pm:
Great Job.It sort of makes me mad.... Kids need to have a voice. I was one of those kids who never stood up fro myself. This was because no one would listen. Now I am happy being homeschooled. I'm glad you wrote something like this because Its another point that needs to be heard. Great job.

Anamareally replied...
today at 9:31 pm :
Thank you! I agree that kids need to have more of a voice, so many are over-looked, so many have so much to say! I try to share my story with others to help people realize that if someone is bullying you it's important to stand up for yourself. Yeah, yeah, same story everyone says.  But I believe that all these kids are their own heroes.