it's too late | Teen Ink

it's too late

April 7, 2013
By mich18 SILVER, Boston, Massachusetts
mich18 SILVER, Boston, Massachusetts
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You are what you say you are."


Only people saw that Joseph is an insane freak. How would they know? People, who only judge a book by its cover and think that people are just born to be in an insane asylum; don’t know the whole facts. There are some people in this world that do something right away and others that wait until the time is right. I always knew that he was an outcast. Just by how he carried his books and how he looked at people when they were in a big group. I still thought that he was interesting and I would’ve guessed he was going through something but didn’t know what it was. I got the first hint that he was getting picked on but didn’t think it was that serious.
“Hey, tired of being a loser again,” says this guy name Paul. As he through josephs bag on the ground while laughing in his face.
Paul had two guys with him. One had a blue shirt with baby blue jeans and the other with a green shirt and black sweat pants. The other guys would tag along as if it was a free for all. I kind of felt bad for him to the point that I had to walk up. But an inside voice told me to stay out of it so something won’t happen to me. I didn’t know why I was so scared to stand up for somebody. I always was taught to stay out of trouble that it didn’t matter if someone was getting bullied or not. I started to play with my notebook nervously as they continued to harass Joseph. I started to turn my head until they all started to fight him. One by one they all attack him as if he was a rag doll. I couldn’t see too much of this anymore and decided to tell the officer about it.
“Excuse me officer, someone is getting hurt back there.”
The police man took one sharp turn and headed quickly over to where the guys were senselessly hitting him. I ran to my seat so that the guys didn’t know I snitched on them. Things got so out of hand until the guys decided to leave. I couldn’t wait any longer and decided to head right over to where Joseph was sitting. He seemed to be shaking as his stuff was all over the place.
“Hi,” I said as I went closer to him.
Joseph looked up and then wiped his face.
“I’m ok, just them playing around that’s all. They do this all the time. I’m just getting use to it.”
I shook my head as I heard him shrugging it off as if it was nothing. Nobody should have to deal with this, nobody.
“That’s not ok. You should tell someone about it.”
He waved his hand as if he wanted me to leave it alone.
“No, no, no, its fine. Everywhere I go, nobody cares about me so.”
I felt bad for him. Knowing the fact that people at home and in school are giving him a hard time. I couldn’t imagine what type of trouble he was getting g himself into. But all I want to know is that if he was ok.
“Well if you need anything, I’m here.”
I sat right next to him as he brushed off the dirt from his colorful t-shirt. Joseph looked at me in a curious yet surprising expression.
“Why are you being so nice to me?” he said in a surprising tone.
I looked at the ground and then up at him.
“Well I see you get picked on all the time and I kind of always felt bad. But didn’t have the guts to say anything.”
He nods his head as he understands what I have just said. It seems like he knows how it feels to be scared. I looked at him as if he had a motion picture of being the child called it. I could feel he was numb and didn’t feel a thing even if he was hit by a metal ball.
“Yeah, I was scared to say anything to help myself.”
I went up closer to him to see what he is talking about.
“Why is that?”
He shook his head as if it was nothing.
“Because I thought I deserved it. I thought I was a loser.”
“You’re not a loser.”
He looked at me.
“Why do you think that?”
“Because you are special. People who pick on other people are intimidated by that person because they have something that the other person doesn’t have.”
He looks at me as if I was speaking a different language.
“Really?”
“Yes, sometimes even though we are different. Something good is going to come.”
He turns to face me as plays with his rocks.
“You mean they will get their revenge.”
I shook my head.
“Yes.”
He pulls out a gun from his bag with all the joy in his eyes. Joseph looked at me as if he had a plan. I was scared, meaning I knew what he was about to do.
“Does that mean we present it to them,” he says as he smiles.
I shook my head quickly to stop him. He smiled and walked away.
“Thank you man. I appreciate it.”
Joseph walks away as he holds his gun. Leaving me to be scared of what I have done.


The author's comments:
This about when people under estimate quiet people and think they will continue to pick on them.