The Girl I Used to Know

I used to know a girl very well. Everyone thought she had it all. She was fearless; She was popular only because she didn’t judge people; She was innocent, and she never put her peers before her family, unlike most of our young generation. She walked into the cafeteria at lunch, and people surrounded her instantly. She balanced sports and academics, and she even stepped out of her comport zone and tried out for the school drama club one year. She was in the leadership program, and could never use foul language or disobey rules and policies. She had something that many people spend their whole lives chasing. She had happiness.
I lost touch with this girl a long time ago. We were so close for years, then without warning, she was gone. She left the world. The world where everyone thought she had it all. The reason she left can be summed up in one word, but this word is not to be treated lightly. This word is not to be overlooked, or thought of as something that everyone will go through in life. This word has become a casualty, when in reality is it one of the biggest problems in today’s society. This word is bullying, and this is not your average story.
I have long since moved on from her death, though every day I still wish there was some way I could have saved her. I wish I would have known what to do in her situation before she decided that she had enough of the world. At first glance, her story is like all the others. People shouting nasty things at her, spreading rumors about her, and stop being friends with her. A group of girls targeted her, and said she was a slut, a whore, and that she was pregnant. They said that someone had to be pretty desperate to sleep with her. People harassed her day in and day out, but she pretended to let it bounce off of her, and she continued to act happy.
Inside, it was an entirely different story. She had a past like no other. She had a background of sexual abuse that she was happy to put behind her to be a better person. She was so happy that she could forget it all, and build a reputation for herself at school that she could be proud of. She knew that it was impossible for the girls at her school to know what happened to her, but it made the things said hurt ten times worse. She would go into the school bathrooms, and just cry. She would cry because with every insult, it brought back the memories of her darkest time of her life. It re-opened the healed wounds of her past, allowing her to relive the terror over and over again. She slowly learned how to not show emotion, and started to fall into a sadness that constantly seemed to hang over her. This was when she snapped, and just couldn’t take life anymore. “If you cannot be happy, then why stick around?” She thought. So with that, she killed herself.
The people I went to middle school with all miss this girl a lot. My mom, dad, and family miss her even more. The other day, an old friend came up to me, and said “Where did the girl that I once knew in middle school go? The girl who was happy?” I looked at her strait in the eyes, and said “She left, but maybe someday you will meet someone like her again”.
As I walked away form that conversation, I knew what I was going to do when I got home. I was going to get my middle school yearbook, and look for my picture. There, I would see a younger version of myself, and I would be smiling. That would be me, the girl who had it all.

bookmouseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 27 at 9:46 pm:
You did a good job with the twist at the end. I was not expecting for the narrator to be the once happy girl. 

Kat_PoetryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 28 at 11:08 am :
Thanks. (:

bookmouseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
yesterday at 9:21 pm :
I have a piece on a simmilar subject (Trying to stay Evergreen) with an entirely different feel.