Say NO to Bullying | Teen Ink

Say NO to Bullying

By madihayameen PLATINUM, Karachi, Other
madihayameen PLATINUM, Karachi, Other

BULLYING
Making someone feel scared or threatened is disgusting but bullying happens all around the world, and it is plain wrong. Bullying can occur in any context in which human beings interact with each other. This includes school, family, the workplace, home, and neighborhoods.
Bullying – this eight-letter word would become that harassing, no one ever had known. Bullying is the use of force or coercion to abuse or intimidate others. The behavior can be habitual and involve an imbalance of social or physical power. It can include verbal harassment or threat, physical assault or coercion and may be directed repeatedly towards particular victims, perhaps on grounds of race, religion, gender, or ability. If bullying is done by a group, it is called mobbing. The victim of bullying is sometimes referred to as a "target".
Bullying can be defined in many different ways. The UK currently has no legal definition of bullying, while some U.S. states have laws against it. Bullying consists of three basic types of abuse – emotional, verbal, and physical. It typically involves subtle methods of coercion such as intimidation.
Even the celebrities stand against this terrifying act. Pixie Lott, Jedward and Aston of JLS, being this site’s ambassadors, joined the “The Big March 2012” on the beatbullying.org/bigmarch to beat this disgrace.
Cody Simpson’s “DEFEAT THE LABEL”, in Dec 2011, mission, was a motivational and life-changing experience for himself. When he heard about 11-year-old Carl Walker who took his own life after being bullied in school, Cody went to the roots of his death by visiting the school . he recalls “I asked everyone to put their hands up if they have been bullied, and two out of every three people put their hands up. I want to defeat the labels (like Nerd and Loser) that people use to tease others.”

CAUSES OF BULLYING:
In many cases the bully's childhood is marred by poor parental example or outright neglect. Many bullies come from homes where the parents are cold, uninvolved or have, in effect, taught their children to use rage and violence to handle problems. Children raised in such a troubled atmosphere may not see their own verbal attacks and physical aggression as bullying; they may think that such behavior is normal and acceptable.

A STORY OF A GIRL BEING BULLIED:
Hi my name is Abby.
This is my story. I was a perfect, happy, giggly, funny kid. It started in Elementary School. 1st grade I had a best friend. We did everything together. She was sweet, popular, kind, and just awesome. I loved being her friend. Since she was popular, I was too. One day, One day I confronted her about it and she pulled me over and said,” Listen, I don’t wanna be friends with you anymore. You’re ugly, fat, worthless and you don’t matter so go away loser. I never liked you and never will!!” That hurt me.
When I got home, I picked up a razor and started cutting my wrist. I swore I would never do that again. I kept putting up with the bullies until 3rd grade. I started cutting again and it became addictive. I attempted suicide 3 times that year. I tried choking myself, drowning myself and overdosing. I couldn’t take it. I slit my wrist more and more. I almost hit a vain. 4th grade, I was starving myself because I was called fat. I was diagnosed with Anorexia and weighed 45 lbs in 4th grade.
On the last day of school, I was shoved into a trash can. In 6th grade, I had to fend for myself. I got poor grades, poor sleep, poor appetite; I refused to go to school.
7th grade, It got worse. I cried myself to sleep every night, trying to kill myself, having my parents walk in on me trying to kill myself. I cried so much. I had to switch schools. I got beat up, let down, stepped on, backstabbed, choked up, knocked out, pushed around, I just wanted to end it. In 8th grade, I was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, PTSD, bulimia, panic disorder, etc. I cut so much and attempted for the last time I overdosed on 30 Advil & passed out. I woke up in a psych ward. I am getting therapy and help now. Now I have friends, I inspire others and I wake up with a smile on my face knowing I am loved and still alive on this planet and I will not end my life over anybody. I am glad they did it to me because it made me who I am today. Just because I had a negative past, I am not going to have a negative future.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU’RE BULLIED

There are things you can do if you are being bullied:

Look at the kid bullying you and tell him or her to stop in a calm, clear voice. You can also try to laugh it off. This works best if joking is easy for you. It could catch the kid bullying you off guard.

If speaking up seems too hard or not safe, walk away and stay away. Don’t fight back. Find an adult to stop the bullying on the spot.

There are things you can do to stay safe in the future, too.

Talk to an adult you trust. Don’t keep your feelings inside. Telling someone can help you feel less alone. They can help you make a plan to stop the bullying.

Stay away from places where bullying happens.

Stay near adults and other kids. Most bullying happens when adults aren’t around.

STAND UP FOR OTHERS

When you see bullying, there are safe things you can do to make it stop.

Talk to a parent, teacher, or another adult you trust. Adults need to know when bad things happen so they can help.

Be kind to the kid being bullied. Show them that you care by trying to include them. Sit with them at lunch or on the bus, talk to them at school, or invite them to do something. Just hanging out with them will help them know they aren’t alone.

Not saying anything could make it worse for everyone. The kid who is bullying will think it is ok to keep treating others that way.

FACTS AND STATISTICS:

In 7 Students in Grades K-12 is either a bully or a victim of bullying.

56% of students have personally witnessed some type of bullying at school

71% of students report incidents of bullying as a problem at their school.

Those in the lower grades reported being in twice as many fights as those in the higher grades. However, there is a lower rate of serious violent crimes in the elementary level than in the middle or high schools.

61% of students said students shoot others because they have been victims of physical abuse at home.

Since 2002, at least 15 schoolchildren ages 11 to 14 have committed suicide in Massachusetts, USA. Three of them were Carl's age.

Sign up at Cybermentors.org.uk and find comfort and condolence between its pages, as the mentors there are available to help you. And you can also be a Cyber Mentor by just filling out their little application. Go to beatbullying.org, make your own avatar, and join the war against Bullying.
The bully and the victim of bullying both need help. The bully needs to learn to relate to others without abusing power. Whereas the victim of bullying needs to learn to cope with the problem.
“Bullying is a crime. We will NOT
let the criminals walk freely.”
“If people are trying to bring you
DOWN
It only means that you are above them.”

on Feb. 22 2013 at 7:17 am
madihayameen PLATINUM, Karachi, Other
Thanks alot. I will =)

Amanda09 said...
on Feb. 20 2013 at 12:02 pm
Hey Madiha.. Read your article.. It's very helpful for kids out there being bullied..thank you.. keep on writing..