Laughter | Teen Ink

Laughter

February 12, 2013
By XiomaharaXayide SILVER, La Mesa, California
XiomaharaXayide SILVER, La Mesa, California
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Love is my weapon


When I was a child I never gave a second glance at a reflection, I never saw anything wrong or bad with me because the person staring back at me was just me. But it wasn’t until I was in sixth grade that I started to notice how weird and awkward I looked. It all started the minute I stepped out of the bus and walked into middle school. I was wearing a white t-shirt and khaki pants, the clothing I always wore for school. I also carried a roller bag back while mostly every other girl wore skinny jeans and a hand bag. I must have looked like a nerd among all of them. I was a nervous wreck that day, nervous and all; it took me all I had to stop myself from vomiting.
As I went walking in to school I hear laughing in front of me. It was a group of girls who were probably two years older than me, judging them by their attire. They were laughing at something that was really hysterical or else their faces would not have turned that red. As I’m walking past them I hear them say things that weren’t really that nice. “Is that guy gay? Or is it a girl?”One asked. Another one said, “She is so ugly.” I wish that they had not pointed at the person they were talking about; that way I could have thought it was somebody else not me. Middle school went on and on like that for me, people laughing at the way I looked in every corner. I tried to keep my head up and shoulder straight, but society had won over me. Three years of torture were enough to break my soul, my spirit, my confidence; everything that was once me.

I decided it was time for a change. I would not wear the uniform my grandma made me wear, I would wear my hair loose to help cover my face and I would not carry a roller bag back anymore. Now I look at pictures of me before middle school and high school I looked a bit awkward and nerdish but it was me. I was able to identify myself out of a big group of people but now I don’t recognize myself I’m a clone, a simple nobody.
I changed myself and yet society doesn’t accept me. I still hear people talking about me down the halls, their words lingering in the air. I don’t know if it’s because paranoia is becoming my nature or because people are always talking about me but now, every time I walk up to my high school I can’t help looking down and walking fast every time someone starts laughing.