Keep it quiet | Teen Ink

Keep it quiet

By BayleeBoo SILVER, Exeter, New Hampshire
BayleeBoo SILVER, Exeter, New Hampshire

"You are, the most important person in the world. Every single one of you. Don’t let anybody tell you differently." -Alex Gaskarth

I don't understand how people can be so unnecessarily mean. Why would you need to go out of your way to make someone feel worse then you? Why would you want someone to hate themselves for simply being different. No one deserves to be judged and bullied over their weight, gender, sexual preference, income status, looks, or their past. You should judge someone based on how they treat you. Treat everyone like a civil human being. Don't go out of your way to pick out someones little flaws. That is cruel. No one should feel like they are not worth it, like they deserve to die. If someone self harms, has an eating disorder, maybe even has made some bad choices relating to sex or drugs, you should not make that a basis to treat them like s***. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone has a time in their life when they cannot handle all of the things that have build up around them. Suddenly everything comes crashing down. Do you want to be responsible for their death? How would you feel if YOU were the reason that depressed girl sitting in your History class killed herself, because YOU told her that she was ugly, that her self harm scars were stupid, that she was pathetic, and she deserved to die. How would you feel, if that boy who finally got the courage to come out of the closet killed himself because everyday you called him a "faggot" and made fun of the way he dressed. No one deserves that. Everyone should have the chance to prove that they're a decent person. Everyone deserves that respect. If you're ganging up on someone with your friends to pick on someone who's feeling like s***, you don't deserve any respect. Because someday that could be you, being attacked, for just being you, and then you'll know how it feels to be alone and not having anyone care. Treat everyone, like you want people to treat you. Don't be the reason someone hurts themselves, don't be the reason someone looks in the mirror and says "I hate myself."