My story | Teen Ink

My story

By CrazyWriter14 SILVER, Durand, Michigan
CrazyWriter14 SILVER, Durand, Michigan

army strong, i hide my true self behind a smile.

Bullying is not a fun thing to do. Many people get bullied on a daily basis. It’s something that scars a person for life. I was once bullied; I was called horse hair and four eyes, all the names in the guys at school could think of. My hair is naturally curly and in middle school I had no clue how to control it. I would brush it and it would turn poufy and yes it resembled a horse’s tail. That’s what my name was throughout my middle school years. They use to also make fun of my name calling me hardwood. I use to go home crying every day. The girls would always call me a dirt kid and say I needed a shower. They would always plug their noses or just give me the dirtiest looks ever. It hurt more than words can describe. Leaving school for the say didn’t end the bullying. I’m the youngest of 6 kids, and the worst part was that between me and my older brother Allen my family had lost a child from SIDS. My brother Allen would always say that I wasn’t wanted that I was just a replacement that should never had been born. My older sister’s weren’t ever home. But I strongly resemble my eldest sister which caused even more bullying at home. Sometimes my parents would even get on it. I would be called drama queen, and told that I just needed to suck it up and stop being a baby. I learned to hold everything in and not tell my family anything that happened. My mom would ask me every day if the kids were still picking on me. I would dial down the stuff they said and eventually lie and say nothing happened. She didn’t believe it at first but eventually the questions stopped.
When I started my freshman year in high school the girls that use to bully me eventually stopped. They became scared because I started playing sports. But the guys didn’t stop it just got worse. They would joke around with each other about how “hot” they think I was or how much they “wanted to date me” it didn’t really bother me but the worse part hadn’t even come. This group of girls would start saying I needed nacho cheese to smell better. They also told me that I was a robot that needed new batteries. I would go home crying every day because at one point in time in the year I had actually been friends with these girls. The girl who I thought was my best friend was part of the girls bullying me. At this point in time my brother had come and scared the guys so bad that they wouldn’t talk to me anymore. This was a blessing for the most part, except when I started getting crushes because they were all scared of my family which they knew about my brothers one who had been the star football player when he was in high school and the other who had been in the war for some years now. At the point in time when all my bullying had reached the worse part I had been staying with my sister due to the fact that my parents had left for Florida for the week to visit my oldest sister. I called my mom one day just bawling because I had no clue what to do. This point in time I had been thinking of cutting so much that I had taken a blade and almost actually cut my wrist to escape the pain, but just thinking of how much trouble I would get in or what would have happened if I had done it stopped me, but that day my mom allowed me to leave Durand for the weekend, including the next day which was a school day, just to escape it until she could go up to the school and get all of the bullying business done. Now and days I don’t get bullied as bad but I still get the looks and glares from people but I learned that once my high school career is done I won’t see any of these people again and I just focus on my writing and schoolwork. So all in all bullying is a life changing thing. It’s not a good thing and many people kill themselves from it. I had to stop one of my closest friends from committing suicide from being bullied. My cousin had one of her friends commit suicide and she was greatly affected. Many people think that death is a simple way out but the only way to stop it is to confront the people head on or just tell someone.